• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello all ,my name is Sean Tulp

Zachsdad69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
Can't ride it, he doesn't have the co ordination

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It sounds like the gearing is too tall. Changing tire size will help.

When I had my 1998 XLT with a 2.5 Lima, it came with 3.45:1 gears and had the same problem. I got a junkyard axle with 4.10:1 gears that fixed the problem and the fuel mileage stayed where it was at 22 mpg average. With a 3.0, you could probably get away with 3.73:1 gears and perhaps improve the mpg some too since it will have more power than the 2.5 Lima does.

I would do the swap to 4.10 if you want to keep the tires. 3.73 if you want to step down to 235/75R15.

EDIT: It just occured to me. Is this a RWD or a 4X4? If 4X4, you will need to change the gearing in the front axle or change the axle as well to match whatever you do to the back.

Zachsdad69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like the gearing is too tall. Changing tire size will help.

When I had my 1998 XLT with a 2.5 Lima, it came with 3.45:1 gears and had the same problem. I got a junkyard axle with 4.10:1 gears that fixed the problem and the fuel mileage stayed where it was at 22 mpg average. With a 3.0, you could probably get away with 3.73:1 gears and perhaps improve the mpg some too since it will have more power than the 2.5 Lima does.

I would do the swap to 4.10 if you want to keep the tires. 3.73 if you want to step down to 235/75R15.

EDIT: It just occured to me. Is this a RWD or a 4X4? If 4X4, you will need to change the gearing in the front axle or change the axle as well to match whatever you do to the back.
2wd

Zachsdad69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger Edg
Transmission
Automatic
that doesn't look like an Easter egg.

hope the rest of your Ranger is in good shape. that's a big chunk of money to put in an 18 year old truck.
It's in good shape. 1 St free oil change next Wednesday and a check up making sure motor is running tip top.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals