• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello all - having trouble and need help

gwhm417

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Good morning everyone,

I bought a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab two days ago and it won't start. I have no mechanic experience but a friend of mine looked at the truck before I bought it and said it was a good deal. Engine and tranny seemed sound and it was in very good shape.

HOWEVER, this morning I drove o the store and then back home...everything fine...went to my sister's house...parked in the driveway and when I went to start it...nothing but one click. It has power to the instruments, lights, radio, etc, but it will not turn over whatso ever...just a click when I turn the key.

I do not have a manual yet to trouble shoot, because I bought it two days ago and here I sit frustrated as can be without a clue what to do.

Can anyone help me out here with a diagnosis?

Please,
B:annoyed:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
CHeck the small lead on top of the starter. They have a nasty habit of corroding and falling off. I soldered mine in place

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Either that or check your battery cables. Mine did that when the battery cables were corroded.

Allen

mudnsnow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Just ask a friend to keep the key in start position, and knock with something solid on the starter motor....... if it start this way you will need a new starter.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The first thing to do is a visual inspection. Make sure none of the connections between the battery and the starter look corroded and/or falling apart. Next, check the battery voltage with a voltmeter. It should be around 12.6V or so with the car off. If it's below 12, it's discharged.

Get it jumpstarted and measure the voltage across the battery with the truck running. You should be reading around 14.6V. If it is reading lower than when the car was off, your alternator isn't charging the battery, if it's reading really high, you probably have a bad voltage regulator, which can toast a battery. If it's reading 14.6 or so, drive to the parts store and have them load test the battery, it might be time for a new one.

What's the date stamp on the battery read? With the truck being a 94, it is most likely on it's second battery and it's probably time for it's third.

If the alternator is charging and the battery tests OK, then check the starter.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals