• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hello Again

MyBeau99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had joined once before awhile back, it had been so long since I was active that I had to just re-register.

I still have my 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 - had the tranny rebuilt...oh, probably a year ago. I've moved to Tennessee now. And here over the last couple of days, spontaneously, while driving the "O/D Off" Sensor light will start flashing, If I am stopped when it's flashing the engine will rev as I hit the gas, but the truck will only inch slowly (unless I was already going at a high speed when it started - then it doesn't do anything). I know that can't be good.

There isn't a pattern to when it does it, but it doesn't stop flashing unless I've turned the truck off and it's sat off for a while. It doesn't do that every time I drive, but it's done it probably a good 6 or 7 times since Saturday (today is Thurs). In a normal run, if I were to turn off O/D the sensor would stay lit solid, not flash... so I'm trying to figure out what the truck is trying to tell me by flashing that O/D Off sensor.

When I bought the truck used it did not have an owner's manual. I have a Haynes manual from Autozone, but I'm having a hard time finding much info in there. Anybody have any ideas? Has that ever happened to ya'll? ?

Thanks, it's nice to be back!!
Cindy

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Sounds like the torque converter is not releasing, but it could be one of many things. The flashing light is trying to tell you something is wrong. If you take it to a dealer they can hook it to a scanner and read what the light is saying.

I would do it soon, you could be making it worse driving it.

MyBeau99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I try to avoid the dealership at all costs. Mostly because of the costs. Every dealership I've ever gone to (two) has tried to rip me off. I just moved to a new state and I'm supporting me and only me (I'm single) so I really don't have money to go to a dealership. I'll try to find a good mechanic that won't rip me off.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever had that experience. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time, just spontaneously. Usually after I've been driving for a few mins. And not every time I drive.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
where in ten.are you?

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
iam about 75 miles west of nashvegas.......other end from you

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
I had joined once before awhile back, it had been so long since I was active that I had to just re-register.

I still have my 99 Ranger XLT 4x4 - had the tranny rebuilt...oh, probably a year ago. I've moved to Tennessee now. And here over the last couple of days, spontaneously, while driving the "O/D Off" Sensor light will start flashing, If I am stopped when it's flashing the engine will rev as I hit the gas, but the truck will only inch slowly (unless I was already going at a high speed when it started - then it doesn't do anything). I know that can't be good.

There isn't a pattern to when it does it, but it doesn't stop flashing unless I've turned the truck off and it's sat off for a while. It doesn't do that every time I drive, but it's done it probably a good 6 or 7 times since Saturday (today is Thurs). In a normal run, if I were to turn off O/D the sensor would stay lit solid, not flash... so I'm trying to figure out what the truck is trying to tell me by flashing that O/D Off sensor.

When I bought the truck used it did not have an owner's manual. I have a Haynes manual from Autozone, but I'm having a hard time finding much info in there. Anybody have any ideas? Has that ever happened to ya'll? ?

Thanks, it's nice to be back!!
Cindy
hows the fluid level in the tranny?

97BlackBetty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like your overheating the tranny, or at least thats what im doing to mine when the O/D light starts flashing. You'll probably want to have the tranny flushed in that case, and possibly have a larger tranny cooler installed.
Justin

MyBeau99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
skippy said:
hows the fluid level in the tranny?
The fluid level is fine actually, it's the first thing I checked. My Dad is a mechanic and of course he has a friend that works as a mechanic at a ford dealer, but they are in FL and I'm here in TN.

Anyway, that mechanic at Ford says it most likely is a cellanoid (spelling?) or a gasket in the tranny, maybe even a wire gone bad. He says that when it starts flashing like that it's running a code, and the reason it takes off like it does from a stop is because it's operating in a safe mode of only 2nd and 3rd gear (most likely). Since I bought the warrenty when I had the tranny rebuilt in April, that shop gave me the name of an ATRA shop up here. So I have to take it there. My only problem is getting it there and back to work, but I've got a few friends up here, I'll figure it out.

Anybody else like in the tri-city area of Tennessee?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals