• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HEC Test Mode on 2004+ Rangers

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks to RonD, I heard about the useful "HEC Dealer Test Mode" (58 KB PDF) several months ago.

IIUC, my 2004 Ranger is the 1st year with the HEC (Hybrid Electronic Cluster), for which this test is available.

However, when I tried it back then, despite my dedicated efforts, including watching 2 videos of people performing it (on a 2005 Ford F-150 FX4 and a 2007 Mercury Mountaineer), I was unable to make it work. :(

Has anyone successfully used this on a Ranger, preferably on a 2004? Was I simply having a "senior moment" back then or does it really not work on some (all?) 2004 Rangers?

Poster @rlrnot (also with a 2004 Ranger) seemed to have problems running it too, but he never mentioned it again.

(The issue came up again recently in this thread [my post] but I didn't want to hijack it and thought the topic was worth a dedicated thread.)

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated!

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Update:
Having had no responses to this thread and having seen ongoing evidence of people with Rangers failing to get this "HEC Dealer Test Mode" to work, I finally dug into the service information for the 2004 to 2011 Rangers and have what I think is conclusive evidence.

It appears that, for Rangers, this test only works on 2007-2011 models. As far as I can see, folks with 2004-2006 Rangers should not bother trying. (And folks with Rangers prior to 2004 don't have the digital dashboard, so this whole issue is irrelevant for them.)

Hope this information proves useful to someone at some point.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I never heard it called an HEC, it was a PSOM- programmable speedometer/odometer module.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I never heard it called an HEC, it was a PSOM- programmable speedometer/odometer module.
Yea but you are also a million years old. :ROFLMAO:

It's called the HEC in my Ford factory service manual, and the fuse panel diagram in my owners manual, Forscan also refers to it as the HEC. Not saying its right or wrong but it's definitely widely recognized as the HEC.:dunno:

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
FORScan uses many terms to identify what I'd normally call the "instrument panel" -- "HEC", "IC", "INST", "IPC", "SCIL" -- probably because Ford has used all those terms, I'm assuming. Oddly, "PSOM" is not in that list. Cursory searching seems to show that the term was more popular among older F-150s, so maybe it's fallen out of use.

On my 2004, the module is identified by my owner's manual and by FORScan as "Instrument Cluster" ("IC"), so that's how I tend to refer to it. But, after working with multiple manufacturers (who often seem to be schizophrenic 🤪), you definitely don't get too "locked in" to any single term for anything.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
IIRC, Ford called it the PSOM when they switched to the digital odometer in the full size trucks and Broncos... remember them from 25 years ago?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
We never had any problems with them so I guess I never heard them called that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals