• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater valve vacuum hose

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm installing a heater valve. Found mine missing when I looked to see why hot air was coming out of the vents when the ac was turned off.
Anyway went to a junkyard and got a valve and while installing the last hose it broke.
So I just connected the lines together for now and ordered a new valve from rock auto for 2dollars less than the junkyards valve. But I noticed the vacuum line on the valve at the junkyard was really small and of course mine is missing all together. So I guess I'll be going under the dash. What size is the vacuum line? I have the rubber nipple that goes to the heater valve vacuum line, but will I need something like it for the other side?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Look under the glove box next to the kick panel, you will see a Black and a White vacuum line with connector going thru the firewall

Picture here: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/fpi-jpg.198133/
Above inertia switch in this picture

The White hose connects to a grey hose and thats the grey hose that goes to the by-pass valve in engine bay
The black hose goes to the Vacuum reservoir at lower front of engine bay, that's the vacuum source that runs the system

Just FYI, that's not a "heat valve", has no temp control, just on and off
Temp knob on dash uses an electric actuator on The Blend Door, that diverts air either thru heater core(HOT) or around heater core(COLD)

It stops coolant flow thru the heater core in only 2 positions, MAX AC and OFF
These by-pass valves liked to crack and leak, that's why it was removed most likely
And why the used one broke
If you turn your Temp Knob to COLD first, and then selector to OFF you shouldn't get any warm air

EDIT

You have a 1994 Ranger?
Then there was NO by-pass valve, and no grey hose to control it
1994 used sliders and cable controls, no vacuum needed in the cab

1995 was first year Rangers had vacuum vents and by-pass valves

Last edited:

Marlinmahi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Wait a sec, my 94 isnt even suposed to have a valve on the heater hose under the hood?
So i cut up a perfectly good setup for nothing. Figures. Well i guess my hunt for the tiny hard vacuum tube is over, and rock auto will be getting another return.
Ill look for that vacuum fitting on the pic you liked just to be sure. Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals