• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you are careful you can remove the entire A/C system without opening it up. One side of the evap housing will come off so you can separate it from the evaporator.

The box is off! Finally!!

Do you mean I can remove the entire A/C system from the vehicle, without opening it? Or simply remove the housing? I can see how most will come away, but I suspect the condensor would be awkward.

Now it's exposed, I can see the evaporator is rather melted, so it would need replacing. But as I don't want/need A/C, so I'd rather just ditch it all.

Can anyone point me to a non-A/C housing/box for sale online? Mine is rather damaged. I could repair it., but I'd sooner get a non-A/C box and free up the space.

Many thanks

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
That's a very sought after part. It's pretty unlikely to find it online unless someone here has one they'd ship. Most people here end up cutting the AC box to get that space back.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's a very sought after part. It's pretty unlikely to find it online unless someone here has one they'd ship. Most people here end up cutting the AC box to get that space back.
Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes, I found a couple for sale, but the sellers seemed to have confused the price with their phone number...
I have started adapting my a/c box as I have now ripped out the condenser and evaporator. Not sure if it was due to the fire damage but there was no gas in it at all, so I was able to chop through the lines and tear it all out. Very satisfying, after struggling to get at anything on the engine bay. Just waiting on a new belt to arrive and I can ditch the compressor too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals