• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater resistor fire - 1986 2.9 4wd

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hiya
So..... I was merrily driving along the motorway, when I smell burning - and then BILLOWS of smoke come through the air vents. I pulled over and ripped the connector off the resistor (it had already started to fuse itself together), and luckily it didn't get any further than that. I have read of other people having this, and it likely being an accumulation of debris in the motor housing.

Anywho, I need to yank the housing and heater core out to check it all over, and see what needs replacing (resistor and plug for definite! Will have to see if the blower and wheel survived). In the meantime, I am intending to simply connect the two water pipes that go in to the bulkhead/firewall (on the left of the housing) to each other, so I can continue to use the truck (minus heater and blowers) in the meantime.

Am I overlooking anything to mean this is a bad idea/won't work? Assuming it's a sound idea, does anyone know the internal diameter of those pipes, so I can source a suitable temporary connection?

It shouldn't take too long to fix, but I need to order parts from the US to the UK, so it will be a few days at least.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't think you even need to bypass the heater core. Just leave the hoses connected.

Pull the blower motor and check for debris.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks - I was assuming worst-case scenario that the core may be damaged too.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a little contraption on mine apart from the blower motor, just under the hood kinda between the heater housing and the firewall. I think it's only a couple screws that holds it on. Inside are some small coils that heat up, I'm not sure what they are.
Debris can get in there and pile up until it is touching those electrical coils and possibly catch fire

Attachments

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Inside are some small coils that heat up, I'm not sure what they are.
Those are the fan speed resistors being discussed.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, I realized after posting that :D

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a little contraption on mine apart from the blower motor, just under the hood kinda between the heater housing and the firewall. I think it's only a couple screws that holds it on. Inside are some small coils that heat up, I'm not sure what they are.
Debris can get in there and pile up until it is touching those electrical coils and possibly catch fire
Hi, thanks all for the replies. Yes, that it the little b... monkey that caused the trouble. Assuming it's not raining at lunchtime I will get outside and start pulling bits off... RockAuto list both the reistor and its plug, so I just need to see if anythign else needs replacing too.

Thanks again

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did you clean out the little area where it mounts? I had to go into or under the dash to get all the crud out of mine after some little varmit got into it. It has been a long time so I don't remember all the details but I closed every port of entry I could find with a screen wire

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
When I did mine, I had to do the pigtail as well. That was on the '99 so might be a little different for previous gen.

Kind of interesting because other half's Lexus RX300 seems to smoke and/or bad smell somewhere by the firewall, but it's intermittent, like, she went to store, all good, but told me just as whe was pulling in home it did it again. Last time she showed me, I looked at it, couldn't figure out where it was coming from, turned it off, restarted, it went away. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with heater resistors but I've never heard of them smoking unless there's a short somewhere they usually just burn out and you get only high fan speed. Pretty easy fix on the '99, hope it's easy for you.

I have so many projects I'm not about to start being the fix-all for the Lexus (263k miles). But if it's something simple/easy I'd do it.
I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for her to lose the Lexus and her '09 Rabbit (good mechanically, but trashy body) and get something newer.
On the other hand Lexus is pretty nice, so if it can keep running that's probably a lot cheaper than newer. She's had it on a few 1000-mile trips and it was fine.

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, so... Good news is it was just leaf litter scorching on the resistor. There was loads of charred gubbins that started dropping out when I started disturbing the plastic casing.

The bad news... D@MN it's tight under there! Mine has A/C and all the associated stuff for that means I can't pull the housing all the way out, or even separate it whilst still in the engine bay.

How can I safely depressurize it so I can pull bits off? I can't take it to a shop as it is now in pieces.

And is the A/C a separate system to the engine cooling? It appears to be, but I don't want to cause issues on a truck that currently never overheats.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The heater hoses will probably need to be removed to get the evap housing out.

If you are careful you can remove the entire A/C system without opening it up. One side of the evap housing will come off so you can separate it from the evaporator.

I made this awhile ago that might help:

beerhunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks for that. The pics are very useful.

You mention a bolt from the inside - does that hold the whole condenser case to the firewall? Or does it retain the right-hand (if stood looking under the hood) piece of casing?

I was working solely under the hood.it seemed like it was ready to come (barring the lack of room), but I wouldn't be surprised if I had missed something.

Thinking about it, I think I may have enough room to pull the whole thing forward if I pull the alternator.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It holds the main housing, even my non-a/c box had it.

There may be some variance through the years though.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I went in under the dash with mine, I haven't seen 85_Ranger's write-up yet but intend to shortly.
I used a shop vac with a sharp shooter end on it to get as much out as possible.
While under the dash and when re-assembling the system I closed every entry with a good screen wire using little pancake head screws from sheet metal work to fasten it

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OK, that cowl, I was thinking about the inside heater ducts. I had to do that on my 87 once

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals