• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

heat has mechanic stumped

Worktruck

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Long story short is my truck has a new thermostat, new heater core, new 4 way heater valve, good water pump, and good blend door and actuator, but still no heat. It just blows cold air all the time. There seems to be no reason that the heat shouldn't be working, and my mechanic can't think of one. Anyone here have any ideas?

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Hmmm.. kinda sounds like you have an air block in/or going in the core. Have driven the truck to operating temp.While cycling the heater and let the truck cool and repeat with your over flow filled to the "cold level" ? Sometimes it will push all the air out and make the cooling system completely void of air.
Kinda went the long way with that expanation.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I would try and hook a garden hose up to the core and visually see if it flows OK. I had a new core that had BARELY any flow in my Explorer.

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
I would try and hook a garden hose up to the core and visually see if it flows OK. I had a new core that had BARELY any flow in my Explorer.
Thats a good idea..:icon_thumby:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What engine what year??

Could be a few things but engine and year matter alot, and does it have AC?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the heater hoses off of the motor and look at the fittings the one on my thermostat housing wass almost all the way plugged with rust on my 2.8. Also the best way I found to burp the system is put a flushing tee in the heater hose that goes to the thermostat hold it above the radiator and pour coolant in until it runs out the radiator cap.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You don't even need to pull the hoses off. If the heater core is plugged one hose will be hot, one will be cool after the engine warms up.

Also, keep in mind that "new" does not equal "good". I'd go back and look at that stupid bypass valve. I'd look at it right up until it goes into the trash can, then I'd forget it ever existed.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You don't even need to pull the hoses off. If the heater core is plugged one hose will be hot, one will be cool after the engine warms up.

Also, keep in mind that "new" does not equal "good". I'd go back and look at that stupid bypass valve. I'd look at it right up until it goes into the trash can, then I'd forget it ever existed.
Hmmmm...I think I should find out if my 96 has such an animal and see about getting rid of it...there is something on the front of the engine that my 88 didn't have and it has wires...sits on the connection coming off the water pump and I was thinking it was made of plastic...if that's a bypass then I'm going to see about removing it...:icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals