• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headlights

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
89 Bronco 2. My headlights worked maybe a month ago when I tested them. I haven’t been driving it since I’m still fixing some other issues so the bronco has been in the garage I went to go check my lights and they aren’t working. My dash lights light up but my headlights and lights in the black don’t come on. I’m not mechanical knowledge with electrical work so if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do Brake lights and turn signals still work?

Dash lights and Park lights(tail lights) share same fuse and both get power(12v) from the main headlight switch
So do the front Park lights work?

The multi-function switch(turn signal stalk) gets headlight 12v from the Main headlight switch when its on, then sends it out to the headlight bulbs, low or high beams
But no connection to rear park lights(tail light)

Headlight 12volt comes from a Fusible link in the engine bay, hooked to Positive Battery post on the Starter relay(solenoid), it runs to the Main headlight switch in the dash

Main headlight switch has several wires and switches inside, not just one off/on switch, so it is possible for it to turn on some lights but not all lights if its broken

PapaMurph3218

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Do Brake lights and turn signals still work?

Dash lights and Park lights(tail lights) share same fuse and both get power(12v) from the main headlight switch
So do the front Park lights work?

The multi-function switch(turn signal stalk) gets headlight 12v from the Main headlight switch when its on, then sends it out to the headlight bulbs, low or high beams
But no connection to rear park lights(tail light)

Headlight 12volt comes from a Fusible link in the engine bay, hooked to Positive Battery post on the Starter relay(solenoid), it runs to the Main headlight switch in the dash

Main headlight switch has several wires and switches inside, not just one off/on switch, so it is possible for it to turn on some lights but not all lights if its broken
Yeah the turn signals and brake lights still work. So does that mean the main headlight switch is bad?

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It can be either the main headlight or the multifunction switch. Easy enough to test for which one is bad before replacing parts.

It's a little easier to get to the multifunction switch, where the Red/Yellow wire from the headlight switch can be checked for +12 volts with the headlight switch on, no volts when headlight switch off. Removing two Phillips screws from the bottom lets you separate the column covers, and you might have to take off the dash knee panel under the column to get them completely off, to access the multifunction switch.

If the Red/Yellow wire going in to the multifunction switch doesn't show +12 volts with the headlight on, then you can check or replace the headlight switch. Red/Black wire will be low beams and Pink wire high beam will be the wires going out of the multifunction switch to the lights.

I've had more multifunction switches fail than headlight switches, so you should look at it anyway for loose connectors, or brown or melted connectors at the switch (fairly common). Same applies to the headlight switch if the troubleshooting leads you there.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
But multi-function switch won't effect dash lights or tail lights(park lights)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
But multi-function switch won't effect dash lights or tail lights(park lights)
This is true, but the several I had fail were in the headlight part of the multifunction switch operation. Flipping the hi/lo beam at night and suddenly having no headlights can induce a major pucker attack.

It's just a good idea, I think, to at least check the multifunction switch, as it's easier to get to, and the headlight main switch output can also be checked there.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Every one of the pull out switches I've seen have trouble fell apart... Usually after getting hot enough to melt things. Dunno if that says anything about the design or just my luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals