• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Headers questions

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Ok I am ready to order my headers tonight for my 94 2wd 5.0 AOD and I have heard a couple of diffrent stories on a couple diffrent headers. The first one is Patriot H8426 tri Y full length headers and the second ones are the Headman 89500 headers. My questions are have anyone here used either of them and how did they fit and what did you think of them? Has anyone used both of them and if so did you like one set better then the others and why? I am going to do a stout performance build and not a race motor and with that being said it should be about a 320hp engine at the flywheel. Any info would be great.

Last edited:

mwood1985

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
?

what kind of engine? tell us more about the truck we cant help unless we know what we are working with

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the 5.0 and AOD as well, Foxbody Mustang shorty headers fit real nice on the drivers side. Pass side you will need to cut into the upper frame rail lip, and then fishplate around it after and its just as good as before, ive never had any problems and i didnt even fishplate and i have 300hp.

I personally wouldnt mess with expensive headers, and who ever says cutting the frame rail will bust the frame...is full of crap. I have heard this stuff alot an it has never happened to my rig and im on 35" mudders. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I have the 5.0 and AOD as well, Foxbody Mustang shorty headers fit real nice on the drivers side. Pass side you will need to cut into the upper frame rail lip, and then fishplate around it after and its just as good as before, ive never had any problems and i didnt even fishplate and i have 300hp.

I personally wouldnt mess with expensive headers, and who ever says cutting the frame rail will bust the frame...is full of crap. I have heard this stuff alot an it has never happened to my rig and im on 35" mudders. Hope this helps.
I have a couple of sets of fox body shorty headers and I mocked them up on the engine in the truck but I was thinking on doing the long tubes for more torque and the ease of doing the rest of the exhaust system. I how ever do like the idea of saving themoney and spending it other places. I am not worried about cutting the frame as my neighbor does metal fabercating and I can get the frame strengthend up if needed. I just wanted some thoughts of peoples dealings with these two headers. The set of Patriot headers is made for early mustang/falcons but I have heard of guys using them and saying that they worked good.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have some early Mustang Tri-Y's. They touch the side of my AOD so I am going to either have to bend them or go a different route. I hate that since they are really nice chrome plated headers that I got off ebay pretty cheap. I am thinking they can be bent out or down some and then maybe wrapped to keep the heat off the trans. I have a buddy with an industrial tubing bender and he thinks he can bend the collector tube out or down as needed. Geeze I need to get back on this project...

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
most longtubes are gonna hit ur trans, AOD's are wide i found out the hard way. James duff longtubes are ur best bet but u will need a body lift guranteed unless you dont mind denting the floor in to clear. I once saw a guy run hooker longtubes and they fit very good, i dont even think they were made for ranger v8 swaps. Goodluck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals