• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Header Install - Bolt Fix

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey All, I have been lurking for awhile. Helping my son with his Ranger and we ran into a snag. Replaced the manifold with some JBA headers and broke 3 bolts. I was able to get 2 out, but one broke below the surface of the head. I was going to use my reverse bits and a 90deg pneumatic drill and follow up with a high quality extractor. The bolt is the top/rear/drivers side. Remove the tire and fender well? I was thinking of taking the entire fender off so I don't have to remove the Edge wheel molding. Any thoughts? This site has been a great help!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Oooooh. Nasty place to do an extraction. I don't know how rusty your stuff is. But reverse drill bit probably isn't going to get it. Soak it for a few days with real good penetrating oil before proceeding. You'll probably break an extractor. Might end up just drilling it out to 6.75mm and re-tap it to m8x1.25 threads. The nice thing is that it's a through hole on that tab. So you're not going to mess anything up by drilling too deep. The bottom holes are blind.

Good luck. Let us know what finally works for you.

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Oooooh. Nasty place to do an extraction. I don't know how rusty your stuff is. But reverse drill bit probably isn't going to get it. Soak it for a few days with real good penetrating oil before proceeding. You'll probably break an extractor. Might end up just drilling it out to 6.75mm and re-tap it to m8x1.25 threads. The nice thing is that it's a through hole on that tab. So you're not going to mess anything up by drilling too deep. The bottom holes are blind.

Good luck. Let us know what finally works for you.
Surprisingly, the other 2 came out pretty easy and the threads were clean. I noticed that I could blow right through the back and was pleased to see that. We are going to prep it tomorrow when he gets home and plan on a Sunday project.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Blind,

I feel for you, Eric is correct.

I have been in that spot, I removed everything and anything that might give me room to work and a strait shot at the area.

Another option...though I admit I dislike it to an end, is pulling the heads and either letting a machinist do it or yourself in a more controlled environment.

If it makes you feel any better, my first set of headers I snapped half the bolts and half of those were flush or worse. 😵😵😵

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If I break something I'm going to put an insert in or retap. Any use in adding heat? Wouldn't it just boil the penetrating oil out or would it help?

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
If I break something I'm going to put an insert in or retap. Any use in adding heat? Wouldn't it just boil the penetrating oil out or would it help?
Heat might help. Don't ignore any trucks.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Blind,

There is a problem breaking tools, extractors...are super hard and can present even more trouble removing.

For the flush snapped header bolts, I drilled, real slow and very careful. Start with the smallest practical bit and work up to the largest practical. Afterwards I needed to chase the threads with a tap. If I had messed up, I would have gone 1 size larger fastener and tapped accordingly.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Any use in adding heat? Wouldn't it just boil the penetrating oil out or would it help?
Yes and no. Good penetrating fluid doesn't just lubricate the threads, it actually dissolves some of the rust, so if it's had time to work it still would have done its job even if you burn whats left off with heat.

When I do stuff like that I give penetrating fluid at least an overnight soak to work, a couple days is even better if there is no rush. Then if it's still stuck I use the blue wrench. I hate torches though so I usually do my best to get them out without heat...

Last edited:

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here we go...My son tried running it with the broken bolt and burned up the garbage JBA header gasket. Now he is paying about $60 with shipping for replacements. Took the fender and liner off. PB Blasting for a day or two. Might drill through this weekend and attempt extraction next week. Plenty of room and the steering actually helps hold the angle. Should I start with my smallest reverse bit I have and just work my way up? What size extractor should I go with? I was thinking of a #3. Thoughts? Thanks all!

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd recommend NOT using an extractor or easy out. If you break one off in there it'll be a bad day. I'd start with about 1/8" drill and move up slowly, then chase or retap the threads. Drill at a low speed and use cutting oil- your PB would work if you want. At worst you'll end up with one bigger bolt or a bolt and nut.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
That ^^^ is good advice. The key is to take your time. Get your setup as good as you possibly can and make sure you drill centered and straight. You really don't need to worry about reverse drills for this one since it's a through hole. I would start with about a 1/8" bit. Use a center punch and get a good dimple in the center of the hole before drilling.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
check out this video for how it "supposed to be done"
some good tips in it.
put the manifold back on to guide the drill, find or make a small collar to put on the drill to keep it centered.

Removing Sub Surface, Snapped off Bolts -- Take a Look !! - YouTube
That's a good vid. He is on a press but I get the idea. Thats basically if I can't walk it out with a extractor or drill it out completely. A good happy medium. Will definitely work my way up. I'm not going to horse the extractor. If it doesn't work I'm back on the drill.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In my experience, extractors work better the more the bolt is drilled. For example don't drill a 1/2" bolt 1/8" and expect an extractor to work. Drill the damn thing till it's tissue paper before sticking an extractor in. An extractor is not necessarily stronger than the bolt was. If the bolt snapped before letting go you obviously need to do something else to weaken the grip of the threads first before an extractor will do the trick. Generally once the bolt is drilled thin enough the threads just kinda collapse once you start turning the extractor.

Last edited:

Blindmullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In my experience, extractors work better the more the bolt is drilled. For example don't drill a 1/2" bolt 1/8" and expect an extractor to work... Drill the damn thing till it's tissue paper before sticking an extractor in.
I'm shooting through and would like 50% of the material gone before trying.

When I was my son's age I was building a 5.0 mustang.....that turned into a stroked 351 out of a boat. Lol My father didn't teach me but this is a good time for my son and I. We are also building a boat. ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals