• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head unit availability/ chip shortage?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I’m shopping for a head unit. I’ve decided to go with a Pioneer unit. Looks like they basically 2 different models, one looks different and does a bit more. Msrp is like 90 and 130 range for the two. I’m finding that market prices are a good bit higher and they’re hard to come by. The cheaper one is easier to find. Looking at the BestBuy website, NO head units are in stock at my local store, and half the stuff on the website is out of stock or not available. Is the chip shortage hitting these things? Anyone been into a Best Buy lately to see if the stereo wall is still full of stereos?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Yes, there's virtually nothing available right now (and going back quite a while). I just finished installing Boss units in each of my parents' vehicles because the options are so limited. Normally I'd look elsewhere. That said, they do seem to work just fine.

Davejb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I reject your reality and substitute my own
I just got a JVC and some speakers for my '02 at Crutchfield, the majority of the units I was considering were OOS as well.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I guess speakers seem to be fine. I paid $80/pair for some alpine type S. All they have is a capacitor so makes sense. I really want to say I paid closer to $40/pair 15 years ago

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Covid issues or not, that was still fifteen years ago and things have gone up...

The only radios that seem to be consistently in stock are bottom end brands like Dual/Boss and the bleeding edge stuff most people aren't willing to pay for. The top end wasn't an option for me, so i got the two Boss units from Crutchfield plus a set of 6.5 coax and components made by Sound Ordinance, another brand I'd never experimented with before.

It all works fine in the end. Just not my first choice for any of the gear. I'm enjoying the Android Auto experience with them though. Looking forward to my parents not needing constant guidance on using them though.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, looking on the Crutchfield site is depressing - nearly everything is out of stock or unavailable. I wanted to put a new head unit in the Mustang this summer but could never find what I wanted.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
What are all the new features I should be looking for or ignoring? Last time I was in the market, the hot feature was an iPod hookup- the old one that’s like an inch wide. I know I want Bluetooth, but what goes beyond that for single din units? Some version of CarPlay? An app to go with the unit? Is anything useful beyond using Bluetooth as a wireless AUX cord?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The new ones have wireless CarPlay / Android Auto and if you use that, its much nicer than having to fish the phone out of your pocket and plug it in each time you get in the vehicle.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The new ones have wireless CarPlay / Android Auto and if you use that, its much nicer than having to fish the phone out of your pocket and plug it in each time you get in the vehicle.
What does CarPlay do on a single din unit without any real screen?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Beware of the really cheap Dual head units. I have one in my '87 that turns itself on repeatedly if it sees a Bluetooth device near it, even if it's not paired. Turn it off and it'll be back on within 30 seconds. Normally this is not an issue because my fiance drives that truck and connects her phone to it but if I'm driving and she's not with me, I have to keep turning the radio off. It also picks up a lot of feedback from the alternator so there's a constant whining noise present. Just a cheap POS.

I have another one halfway installed in my stepside truck that is a slightly different model, I'm hoping it works out better. I imagine I will replace both of them with a quality brand someday - I have always had really good luck with JVC, that's my usual go-to.

Davejb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
What does CarPlay do on a single din unit without any real screen?
Do single din units even exist with carplay/android auto?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Do single din units even exist with carplay/android auto?
Well maybe not. It could just be that the app integrates Google/Apple maps, or has a shortcut to it. Some of these radios have a physical button that launches the map app on the phone and has voice activation stuff. People doing writeups on these things might be using the CarPlay term incorrectly.

Davejb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Well maybe not. It could just be that the app integrates Google/Apple maps, or has a shortcut to it. Some of these radios have a physical button that launches the map app on the phone and has voice activation stuff. People doing writeups on these things might be using the CarPlay term incorrectly.
The JVC I bought has Alexa built in for voice control to make hands free calls, have to install the alexa app on my phone, not sure if I'm gonna do that or not.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
For those also looking, here’s my short list. Found all these new on eBay for $120-$135 free shipping. The Kenwood is the only one with an additional rear USB port. I really want that port, but the UI seems to be the worst… have to dig into a bunch of menus to change eq and stuff. I like the physical loudness or bass boost button for easy switching between music and talk. The rest seem about equal. I have no real opinion of JVC so it’s kind of out. Think I’m choosing between Alpine and Pioneer. Alpine used to be the cream de la cream (no time to Google how that’s actually spelled), but Pioneer looks slicker. Each brand has a bunch of slightly different models (ie, 6220, 6200, 5700) and I didn’t dive into the differences. I just wanted RGB illumination and BT. These were the cheapest I found with those features and the physical design I wanted from each brand. Surprisingly, cd receivers are generally cheaper than multi media receivers even though the only difference I can tell is the presence, or lack, of a CD player.

JVC KD-X370BTS
Pioneer DEH-S6220BS
Kenwood KMM-BT525HD
Alpine UTE-73BT

Edit: Got the Pioneer for my Ram. It's vastly superior to the Alpine. The Pioneer is my recommendation, though I have no experience with the JVC or Kenwood.

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
JVC and Kenwood are effectively the same company if I remember correctly. And over the last ten years JVC has been one of the best value brands out there for good features and build quality.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals