• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head Gasket Questions

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This weekend I will be taking my heads off cause I have a blown gasket. I am going to them magnafluxed and resurfaced if they are not cracked. I also plan on replacing the CPS while everything is apart. My questions are do I need new head bolts or and other bolts? I thought I read somewhere the head bolts where torque to yield. Are there any special tools I should get besides a torque wrench? Any tips or anyone that wants to stop by and lend a hand would be great.
Thanks Pat

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
yes, you need new head bolts, they are TTY

you need a T45 allen head socket IIRC

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
As 88_Eddie stated, do not reuse your old head bolts. One thing I like to do, is I use Permatex Copper Head Gasket Spray. It helps transfer hear, fills in minor imperfections, and helps keep the gasket in place during assembly.

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys. I think I might have the socket and will get some of spray.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the socket is <$5 at autozone if you dont have one yet

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

davecarr414

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
im looking to assemble my motor this week, someone told me that you should apply sealer to the threads on the head bolts because they go into the water jackets. is that true? when i pulled my bolts out the two inner ones on the exhaust manafold side were heavily corroded and all the others were fine. it was the same thing on the other bank also.

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok I got it all torn apart and put back together. The heads were not cracked. :wiggle: It started right up after getting it put back together but I'm almost positive it has a miss fire now. Its not throwing a CEL though. It stumbles when you give it gas and doesn't have any power when you drive it and wants to just fall on its face. I just went around the block, didn't want to go any farther. I took all the plugs out and cleaned them and regapped them and checked the plug wires and there order with no change at all. I'm at a loss of what it could be, the coil pack, plugs and wires are all newer within the last year. I did pressure wash the uppper and lower intake but did not take the tb off or the sensors on it, I did however tape them up to keep water out and avoided them as much as possible. I checked all the vacuum lines to and they all seem to be in the right place. What could it be cause I have know clue know.
im looking to assemble my motor this week, someone told me that you should apply sealer to the threads on the head bolts because they go into the water jackets. is that true? when i pulled my bolts out the two inner ones on the exhaust manafold side were heavily corroded and all the others were fine. it was the same thing on the other bank also.
I did not but anything on any of the head bolts and have no leaks.

Thanks Pat

99supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
i dont know if your still having this problem but if you are recheck your push rods i had one slip off the lifter when i did the heads on my truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals