• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Head gasket or worse?

Ncgreg25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys new here! Looking for a little help... Truck won't start after overheating. I didn't compression test while cold... Hence it won't start.
First what are we working with... 97 Ford ranger 2.3 engine dual spark plugs. Checking compression on exhaust side. Cyl 1-65psi...cyl 2-65psi... Cyl 3-65psi cyl 4-150psi... Testwd all 3 times... First 2 times turning over 4-5 seconds. 3rd time 10 seconds.
So the question is will a blown head gasket cause that low psi?? Or should I be looking at valves?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to the forums

1997 2.3l SOHC Lima engine should be 170psi or so

65psi is way too low for "just" a head gasket issue

If all 4 were around 65psi then I would say timing belt slipped, but the one at 150psi negates that
Blown head gasket just looses a few PSI in the effected cylinder(s)

You can do a WET compression test, add a teaspoon of motor oil via spark plug hole and retest each cylinder
I use a drinking straw to add the oil, insert straw in oil bottle, put finger over top, lift straw out of the oil and put it in spark plug hole, release finger
PSI will always go up in WET test, but by how much tells you if its the Rings or Valves that are leaking the most

At 65 psi a wet test would show maybe 75psi if Rings are OK but Valves are not
The oil helps seal the piston rings, but does nothing for leaking valves

You can do the Glove test to see if there is a bad head gasket

Ncgreg25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey rond!! Thanks for replying!! Yeah didn't mention that I did add oil... No help at all... I am off tomorrow so I'm pulling the head to see what's going on and gonna replace the head gasket while I'm at it. Unless I notice a cracked head or block... Hopefully it's not that bad though. Will keep updating

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals