• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Have Initial Issues With The New Ranger Been Addressed?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I'm ok with a slight lean from spring fatigue. But I still feel that a vehicle as expensive as they are now should come out of the dealer lean free ... or at least very close.
In the past it is on older trucks. It is a warranty item on a newer one, I wouldn't worry about it.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't worry about it. If it leans, I just tweak the torsion bar a little and add a little more air on the lower side. That is one of the advantages of torsion bars and air bags.

Coil springs could use small spacers too. A little more work but doable. The point is; lean is normally a relatively fixable issue in warranty or not. If the lean is due to bent parts, it may be more difficult to fix.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Why are you worried about noise from the right rear door? Just go drive one. If it bothers you, don't buy it. Pretty simple. If there is noise it's likely not much, and if you test drove the truck, you'd probably not even notice it after a while.

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be worried about the right rear door noise because I'm a bit obsessive about little things like that. It's just me. I'm not expecting the ride and solitude you get with a Bentley but I'd like something better than what I have now. With that said ... Perfect timing! I just got back from a test drive. It was hard finding a Super Cab in my area. Every dealer near me has tons of Super Crews but very limited Super Cabs. The thing drove and handled great. I didn't notice cabin noise louder than any other car I've been in recently and it's way quieter than my current truck. The supposed "misaligned" door is not really misaligned. It's fine. I'm gonna spec out what I want on the Ford site and start shopping for the best deal then place an order! The dealer today said 8-12 weeks for delivery. Thanks to all who responded. As always the info provided by actual owners is invaluable!

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
How did you like power from the turbo 2.3 EcoBoost?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Why are you worried about noise from the right rear door? Just go drive one. If it bothers you, don't buy it. Pretty simple. If there is noise it's likely not much, and if you test drove the truck, you'd probably not even notice it after a while.
Just take the door off, that way you don't have the door noise anymore HAHA!!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Wind noise hasn't been a problem for me but I have the Supercrew and not the Supercab. I get more wind noise from the roof rack than I do from the truck before the rack. Not that it's bad or annoying. I just know it's there when it wasn't before the racks were installed.

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Jim – I’m probably not the best person to ask about the performance of the 2.3 EcoBoost because I’m not really a “car guy” and don't have the experience an understanding to give a credible tech kinda answer. But what I can do is tell you how I felt about it. And since you asked I will. : )

I don’t have much to compare with other than my 2000 Ranger and my wife’s 2015 Santa Fe. The new Ranger beats my Ranger’s performance by a mile. The Santa Fe is closer but the 2020 Ranger definitely felt like it had more get up and go.

The comparison to my current Ranger is not even close!!! My 2000 has the 3.0 V-6 which I believe has about 150hp. I assume that at the time this engine was fine for most but I also had the tow package that gave me that 4:10 rear end. For almost 20 years now it feels like I've been driving a turtle. Most of the time when merging on to a highway I have to floor it.

The 2020 Range I drove yesterday was a 4x4 Super Cab without the tow package. However, I was told here on the forum that the tow package on the new Ranger shouldn’t make a difference like it does on my 2000. During the test drive I was able to go slowly over some bumpy streets and got it up to about 60 on another road. The handling and ride comfort were great. The get-up-and-go of the 2.3 EcoBoost was no comparison between my current Ranger or my wife’s Santa Fe. The 2020 Ranger has plenty of power for me!! I’ll feel a lot safer in this one when merging next to an 18-wheeler. I also felt that the transmission shifting was smooth.

One thing I’ll have to get used to though is the height of gate. The bed walls and gate on the new Ranger are 20.8” high. This is a little over 4” higher than my current truck. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference but it does. I had the trucks parked side by side in the dealers lot with the gates down. On the new rig that 4”s plus the truck itself being higher is gonna make getting stuff out of the bed a little harder.

Hope this helps …. And just one more note about the cabin noise and my original post asking about problems noted in that article … The overall reason I asked about these reported problems on the new Ranger was so that before taking one for a test drive I'd have an idea of possible issues to look and listen for. There’s a lot to take in when test driving a vehicle and I just wanted a heads up as to what to pay attention to.

Thanks again for all the responses!

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Ok – So after tons of research here on the forum and other on line sources I was getting really close to taking the new truck plunge. Then today, while seeking information on cabin noise, I found a pretty discouraging article pointing out issues with the 2019 Ranger. (the article link is below) I did expect some issues with the re-release of the Ranger but some of the things are concerning, especially the following:

Cabin wind noise (from window and door panel)
Suspension issue causing truck to lean
Misaligned rear passenger door
Discoloration on door panel
Broken seat floor latch
Rear seat latch
Bent floor pan
And more ….

I guess what really concerns me are the issues that Ford considers are “normal”.

Is there anywhere on line I can go to see if Ford has addressed and corrected some of all of these issues on the 2020 model?

Article Link Here
Our 2019 SuperCab FX-4 has none of the issues you have listed above.

My advice is to pick out a truck you want, drive it, have them put it on a lift, inspect it and see for yourself if it has any of these issues.

It's a mass produced vehicle that's been assembled by robots and humans of varying qualifications, shipped by independent contractors to the dealership where it has been dealer inspected by people of questionable skills and then test driven by John Q. Public.

Caveat Emptor.

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your response. It's comforting to hear that your Ranger has none of the issues I posted. I'm probably just being overcautious because I haven't bought a new truck in almost 20 years and am a little apprehensive about buying a re-issue in the first couple of years. But, thanks to this forum and speaking with actual owners, I will be jumping in and getting myself a new rig. As for picking out, driving and inspecting a truck I want that’s not gonna work for me. I’m being really picky about the truck and options so I’ll have to do a special order. (the dealer searched 2000 miles and couldn't find a truck with the options I want) And now, with this virus thing, it looks like it's going to be a good idea to wait to place the order. I’m gonna have to believe that when we start coming out of this there will be better incentives and financing options available.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I hear where you are coming from. I researched the heck out of the truck and it's components before I decided to buy mine (and some after I bought it). The basic engine has been used on at least three other vehicles for some time. The basic ecoboost configuration in various engines has been running for quite some time as well (2.0, 2.3, 2.7, 3.5). The transmission in a few models as well and is a joint venture with GM, so they would be sharing the misery if the tranny was crap. The basic truck platform has been in use since 2012. So, there is some track record on the main, basic components even if the exact variation is somewhat new. Most of the recall issues have been parts manufacturer defects and some skipped steps on the assembly line. All of which seemed to crop up with the first batch of models off a new assembly line. Will there still be issues? Probably. Heck, I had a recall on the 2011 a few months back on a over all design that has been around since 1998. Nothing is recall proof.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your response. It's comforting to hear that your Ranger has none of the issues I posted. I'm probably just being overcautious because I haven't bought a new truck in almost 20 years and am a little apprehensive about buying a re-issue in the first couple of years. But, thanks to this forum and speaking with actual owners, I will be jumping in and getting myself a new rig. As for picking out, driving and inspecting a truck I want that’s not gonna work for me. I’m being really picky about the truck and options so I’ll have to do a special order. (the dealer searched 2000 miles and couldn't find a truck with the options I want) And now, with this virus thing, it looks like it's going to be a good idea to wait to place the order. I’m gonna have to believe that when we start coming out of this there will be better incentives and financing options available.
I don't know what is involved with it but March is "truck month", you might keep an eye on what offers that entails before the month is out.

Unless your current truck is falling in a pile I would sit on it and ride this stupid virus thing out. It could be a big deal for the economy...

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Last truck we bought was in 2002..

We contemplated ordering a truck but to be honest, unless I could get a guarantee in writing that I can back out of it of the truck isn't 100%, I wouldn't order one. You said you are "Really picky"... me too. And unless I can inspect the vehicle thoroughly before buying it, no deal.

The factory does some weird stuff. There was a handful of trucks that left the factory without any seam sealer on the doors... How is that acceptable? And of course during shipment from the factory to the dealer... accidents sometimes happen.

We drove to Laramie WY to get our truck, it was the closest to what we wanted, only thing that was different than what we wanted was the color.

In any event.... good luck with your truck search...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals