• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone tried the four barrel intake for the 3.0

Mike b

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I would like to build a high output 3.0

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I would like to build a high output 3.0
You are still better off with EFI. The changes you will need to make to make it handle those changes will cost far less than a special production intake and a carb.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Carbs have many advantages over EFI. I have listed them a dozen times so i wont again.

All im saying is carbs are just fine under 99.9% of operating conditions.

and the other .1% of the time you are driving it?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I like carbs and if I had a vehicle that came with one I'd happily drive it. But the only advantage over EFI is simplicity - and the number of people who really understand how a carb works is vanishingly small. Still anyone can replace parts and adjust things to factory specs on a carb pretty easily.

Nez'sRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Of course, when the massive solar flare goes off and fries all the electronics, including all the ECU's, the carb guys are gonna be laughing at all of us while they drive along like nothing happened! Haha!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Of course, when the massive solar flare goes off and fries all the electronics, including all the ECU's, the carb guys are gonna be laughing at all of us while they drive along like nothing happened! Haha!
Ignition coils, alternators, and electric starters are vulnerable too. Also, solid state electronics and EEPROM memory (most of the EEC-VI and early EEC-V PCMs) are not nearly as vulnerable as a PC or laptop computer would be.

Its the magnetic part of the EMP that damages computer equipment. Solid state electronics are rather resiliant against magnetics.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Your old car is less likely to start than a modern one in a solar flare or nuke event. You're alternator diodes and voltags regulators will be toast. As will anything above a points distributor. simple fixes though.

But modern cars have redundant surge protection and alot of shielding. I watched a video of an EMP going off next to a high tech modern car. It did nothing but break the radio.

Either way stick it in a faraday cage made from a shipping container. Issue solved.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually the Diesel guys with mechanical fuel pumps would be the only ones laughing(while driving) and only if they could push start it :)

But can't happen in any case, the solar flare "thing" is about the electrical grid we all rely on, so those with a full tank of gas(or diesel) would be fine, gas stations would be without power so no pumps.

A nuclear EMP can hurt electronics but if it was close enough to you to do that you wouldn't be around to care that car won't start :)

The ISS(international space station) has gone through a few stronger solar flare events, no electronic issues so far, but they don't have EFI, or a Carb, so still a debate there

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Your reasons aren't rational. They are better to YOU because YOU can work on a carb better than YOU can work on EFI. You might as well say a typewriter is better than a laptop because YOU dont know what powerpoint is. In your world a carb is better, but to the rest of society who has long since embraced indoor plumbing and the internet. There are zero advantages to a carb except sentimental value or being all you understand. The worlds best tuned carb cannot compete with a computer though... It's science... Not opinion.

Now excuse me, I need to go change the jets on my edelbrock avs2 from winter to summer settings. :secret:

P.S I love you rusty... You are by far my favorite person to argue with on the interweb.
Ive been trying to learn EFI. Since the supply of cheap, DD worthy carb vehicles hss been drying up.

But the more i learn, the more i hate the over engineered, over complicated mess that is fuel injection.

My rangers been parked since october due to flooding issues i cant figure out. Ive spent countless hours and dollars trying to figure it out. If it was carburated ida went to the store, bought a carb kit, spent an hr or two pulling it off and apart and putting it back togther, adjusted the idle and been on the road by dinner.

I have NEVER been in a situation with a carbed vehicle where i thought "damn i wish i had EFI"

Ive been in numerous situations with EFI where i thought "damn i wish i had a carb"

I understand that scientific wise EFI is "better". But, like EFI carbs also have issues. The difference is the EFI is a migraine when it does, a carb is just a slight dull pain.

@pjtoledo the only thing ive seen EFI do better is extreme angles or extreme cold.

If its -30 out then im more concerned with battery issues then induction.

If im pointed toward the sky...id rather be starving for fuel then oil.

Mike benfielf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hay everyone this is mikeb I got hacked last night had to reset my phone and email so I had to make a new account on here

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
But wait... how do we know YOU'RE not the hacker just pretending to be mike b :annoyed:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Hay everyone this is mikeb I got hacked last night had to reset my phone and email so I had to make a new account on here
Do you need to reset a password on your original account? There's no need to start a new one.

Mike benfielf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Had to get new email too that why I started a new account

Mike benfielf

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
S**t happens

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
nice meeting you mike, now back to the carb vs EFI debate. I prefer carbs over EFI when it comes to small engines and like everyone else said that is due to the simplicity of it. Obviously, EFI is better (for most people) or else every new car would be carbed. New vehicles are made to be reliable to anyone in any climate where as a carb would need tuned to that specific region/climate. It wouldn't make sense to build something that needs tuned for where ever it is being sold. Unfortunately Rusty, technology goes forward, not backward, and no one is making money by making cars less smart. If anything here in 20-30 years we are going to have this same debate but it will be over EFI vs electric cars.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals