• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone put an inline 6 in a Ranger?

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
Sometimes, when it comes to engine swapping, it comes down to "Has anyone tired this before ?" I always like the 223 CID in-line 6 engines Ford used in the 50's and 60's in cars and trucks. I bought a complete driveline and engine from a 1963, F100. I built the engine (bored .040 OS), and began to look for a Ranger to put it in. I found a good, cleaned titled 95' standard cab 4x4 body that had the trans and transfer case removed. The engine was a 4.0 with a blown head gasket. I pulled the engine and went to work. I have it going now, and this is what I ended up with-----It is now a 2x4 with a 3 speed trans, 223 engine with carb--AC,PS--1994 Taurus radiator and two-speed electric fan (temperature controlled with manual override). I figured out how to get the electric speedometer, original tach and all gauges to work. I used an old Fenton three speed floor shifter. I used the 63' truck bell housing with the mounting ears and a front saddle mount. I fabricated a lot of brackets to make this work. I elected to not cut the firewall and cut the radiator support and move everything forward. The PCM is completely done away with, and everything is old school, just the way I wanted it. The 223 was called the "mileage maker", and I'm curious how much gas mileage I can get out of her. I'll post some pictures later, if, you all want to see some. I've enjoyed reading all the post on the thread, Dennis.
I'll post the pictures soon as I can----read the above to answer a few questions that have been asked

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Using an old 223 is kinda cool and strange. But without pics, it didn't happen.

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual

Attachments

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool. Can you do one more pic of the overall engine bay? I want to get a sense of how the engine fits. Sort of from a top down view.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
tilt hood for that.

its criminal to not tilt hood that little shithed.

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
Cool. Can you do one more pic of the overall engine bay? I want to get a sense of how the engine fits. Sort of from a top down view.
I had a lot better pictures of the engine bay---site wouldn't let me post them because they were too big----I had to crop these to get them on---I used a fiberglass Mazda hood (like a Splash or Edge)---it's raised about 1 1/2" in the center to get some clearance--radiator moved forward about 4"---moved the grille about 2" forward, and lowered and moved the bumper about 2". The biggest problem was the oil pan----it has a front hump pan, but I still had to do a lot of modification to the pan to clear the large front cross member. Everything work well, drives like a charm. It's been driven enough to have it's first oil change since building it.

Last edited:

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
check this one out. This engine has a lot of low RPM torque----it will pull all these hills around here in high gear, at a light throttle, Dennis.

Attachments

Last edited:

Denola2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
223 in-line 6
Transmission
Manual
This truck is now for sale----see ad in classifieds----contact me if interested, Dennis.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals