• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone played Doom Eternal yet?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I've been a fan of doom ever since it's release so many years ago, '93-'94, and own all of the games for PC. Out of them my favorites have to be the original and Doom 3 where as the Doom 2016 release and Eternal have started taking on a feeling of playing Halo but with demons.

The original was a puzzle FPS shooter where you would get stuck for hours trying to find the darn hidden door to get to the next level and Doom 3 by far was the scariest with jump scares and for the time killer graphics. Both, you needed to go slow be methodical and at times run to get away. Now you need to run, fly though the air, and never get a jump scare because everything is so darn lit up so you can see everything. With '16 and Eternal there are no puzzles to keep you entertained or frustrated other than just killing and or dying.

What are your opinions on the new Doom Eternal game?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Rise of the triad was way better than doom...

It needed to be said...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Rise of the triad was way better than doom...

It needed to be said...
Right up there with Blake Stone, aliens of gold.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Havnt played eternal yet, but I thought the 2016 release was awesome a.f.

Move or die, blow shit up, overly brutal and gory, "metal" soundtrack.. Good stuff.

I was disappointed with the number of demons, seemed too few. I was impressed with all the "lore" they put into it with the little codex thing or whatever it was called. Apparently the new one has even more info and backstory to read into.

The series nowadays certainly isn't like the first 3, and I can see how that can be a bummer to some people.. But it's still the same scale masterpiece Imo.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Doom Eternal stays with the heavy metal sound track and adds a few of ID's other games songs like the theme from Quake 3 so that is a plus. The older songs are accessible from the Doom Fortress, main staging area before starting a mission, and acquired through out the game play as a secret/hidden item. Having cheat codes that you can only activate once you have made it to the end of the map regularly the first time is cool but at the same time an annoying part when your struggling to get through the onslaught of demons. Turn on the cheats and you can just go through the map and just destroy even the most difficult demon in short time. The BFG is still the mother of all weapons and useful if you get into a really tight scrape that you're about to die to wipe out the majority of the demons in one shot to give you some breathing room and collect health, ammo and armor. Those items are now acquired by killing demons using certain weapons so you can farm all armor you need and get either health or ammo once you finish off the demons. There are still all three laying around the map but being accessible during the battle by killing a demon was a great idea.

They did up the demon count so there is that. Now it is more like playing Superman if he was a serial killer and there is a real satisfaction from finally beating the zone's battle with no cheats. It's handed me my own rear end a few times on easy during battles, the Marauder is a pain, but I have found I die more right now from not knowing where to go in the map to continue on. There is a ton of reading but I have yet to start into that end because I just want to play the game and beat it before settling in to hours of reading the lore and info on the demons. I read really slowly and always have so it is hours for me. Kid loved it when the 2016 version was released because we could sit down together and look at and read about the demons as I unlocked the info. The pictures of the demons, in what used to be called the PDA, IMO lack the quality the 3D renderings had in the 2016 version which makes me feel they were rushed and tossed together and little time was spent on the visual part of the lore.

With more demons in the battles required the development of other demons like Gargoyles and fodder demons. Fodder demons, human looking but possessed by a demon, are used mostly as a nuisance demon but are great to farm though out the battle. Gargoyles are a lot like Imps but jump in the air and hover shooting at you. Imps are more annoying because they get behind you and once you're killing the big guys they keep poking at you and can be hard to spot because they try to stay behind you when they are close. The DoomHunter, built to hunt Doom Guy, is a new demon that uses a shield to protect its flesh and robotic parts so you must take out the shield before you can damage the demon. This takes some time so the imps have a good chance to do there hide in your blind spot thing and hurt you once you really need to focus on killing DoomHunter. Remember in Doom 3 when Sarg got turned into the demon with the tank base? Well the DoomHunter takes his place. There are more but this gives you an idea of some of the changes to the types demons.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm playing TES: Morrowind right now.

Mournhold has pissed me off and I'm probably going back to Vardenfell soon. I'm at the end of the Tribunal quest line, but I started it way too early and I can't beat the boss at the end of it.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
I'm playing TES: Morrowind right now.

Mournhold has pissed me off and I'm probably going back to Vardenfell soon. I'm at the end of the Tribunal quest line, but I started it way too early and I can't beat the boss at the end of it.
I have a hard time finishing those types of games because they are so involved and long that I get off playing something else for a short time then I forget what I was doing what I have done and end up starting over then get playing something else and end up in a viscous cycle of never finishing the game. The last one I finish like that was Witcher, the first one and I recommend playing it but be aware it is an older game without great detail to the graphics. I've started Witcher 3 but well I'm playing doom Eternal so the cycle is repeating...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a hard time finishing those types of games because they are so involved and long that I get off playing something else for a short time then I forget what I was doing what I have done and end up starting over then get playing something else and end up in a viscous cycle of never finishing the game. The last one I finish like that was Witcher, the first one and I recommend playing it but be aware it is an older game without great detail to the graphics. I've started Witcher 3 but well I'm playing doom Eternal so the cycle is repeating...
Dude, Morrowind is still 16 bit graphics. When I first started I was fresh off playing Skyrim and I was appalled. The more I play it the more I realize these graphics are roughly on par with the first Halo game.

I never played Witcher because I heard you can finish the main quest in under 5 minutes.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
Dude, Morrowind is still 16 bit graphics. When I first started I was fresh off playing Skyrim and I was appalled. The more I play it the more I realize these graphics are roughly on par with the first Halo game.

I never played Witcher because I heard you can finish the main quest in under 5 minutes.
The graphics in The Elder Scrolls III, Morrowind are rough compared to today's standards but at the time they weren't half bad. I have the game myself but I admit I have not gotten close to the end of that game. Yes Witcher is short when compared to Morrowind and in fact I put more time into Morrowind than it took me to finish Witcher. I really liked it though...

I'm feeling the need to play some Witcher.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”

You should give The Witcher III a try man, it’s fantastic.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Oblivion>skyrim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals