• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Has anyone heard of a m5od goin out on ya?

dangerranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My tranny just went out. i thought they was indestructable. it will go in every gear but it grinds. doin a tranny swap tonight with another m5od.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
mine lost 2nd gear at about 80,000 miles. was hard to go in or out of 2nd the day before and noisy while in 2nd. it went out on my way home, was just about to hit the clutch for 3rd gear and there was this BANG noise. i held the clutch in and coasted around the next corner to a stop to see what gears (if any) i had left. everything worked but 2nd, the lever would go into the 2nd gear postion but it was just a extra netraul. didnt really see much when i took off the top cover, the first gear on the input shaft looked a little bad, it was low on oil when i bought it, but i had it for a year and about 20,000 miles before it broke. one of the first things i did was change the trans oil and i check it every oil change. was 1,100 for a rebuilt M5OD, about 500 for other parts, i put a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing and hydraulic slave cyl. havent had any issues with this trans besides it not wanting to downshift, but ive found that if i quickly tap the throttle with the clutch in as i go to downshift, it goes right in. upshifts o.k. only noise is the normal noise you get when you run a hurst shifter. on the other hand, my '88 2wd s/c had over 200K on its M5OD trans without any issues. shifter was sloppy towards the end, but i didnt know about the plastic bushings back then.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
They are good strong transmissions for Ranger engines. By far the best stock trans ever put in a Ranger.

They are far from indestructible. The full size M5ODs had a lot of problems with shift forks going out.

Also, transmissions are full of wearable items like bearings and synchros. Something is gonna go eventually.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My sister had the M5OD in her Explorer seize up on her going 55 on the freeway.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I hear about M5OD problems on here just as much as any other transmission. Yet no one ever says anything bad about them. On the other hand, any time someone has an A4LD problem, no one hesitates to jump in and call it a piece of crap.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I hear about M5OD problems on here just as much as any other transmission. Yet no one ever says anything bad about them. On the other hand, any time someone has an A4LD problem, no one hesitates to jump in and call it a piece of crap.
look on craigslist for "Explorer, parting out" ads, how many of them say that everything is great except the tranny is blown? now look for "Ranger, parting out" ads, I bet they're all wrecked...

like said above, not a bulletproof tranny but the best put in any RBV, I know I've abused the one in my Ranger and Explorer, drive both like I stole them usually, both about the same power in front of them.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
so worn synchros or a failed slave cylinder?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you are not wrong, i see them fail just as often as any other RBV transmission, infact ive actually had better luck with fm145-6's and the tk5 believe it or not, and how i drive is the opitimy of beating the ever loving piss out of your truck, ive had failures on all RBV transmissions, but in the end its only as good as the guy driving it and maintaining it, if ur trying to wheel and dont have the knowledge and experience to make the transmission survive your going to end up with a chunk of a paperweight that used to be your transmission

dangerranger94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
turns out my synchros were shot and gears eat up. got the other in now it runs good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals