• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Harness swap for same motor.

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
So question, I have a 2003 ford ranger power distribution block in a 1997 ford ranger, with a 2000 ford anger 2.5l motor and 2.5l ecu. The PO that did this destroyed the engine harness in this thing, and for that matter im not even sure if the power block is wired up to the right things. Is it possible for me to swap it out for a 98 harness and power block, with a 98 2.5l ecu, to create less headache for me? The way he rewired all the sensors and crap in here is just so messed up i don't feel its worth trying to refugee where everything is supposed to be and verify all these wires from head to toe are in good health and where they should be.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That is a baffling mismatch of nonsense for sure.

I'd go find a 98-2000 4 cylinder ranger in the junkyard and just take a whole new complete harness and matching ecu and basically start over...

Also, at some point in there 4 cylinder rangers got PATS security so you may need to take the PATS module, transceiver ring, and keys with the ECU.

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
yeah thats what I'm gonna attempt to do, hopefully it works. Pats must be a higher up thing, never seen those on the old ones below 1999, unless it was am

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The V6 trucks got PATS before the 4 cylinder trucks for some reason. When and why they went to using it on all trucks I'm not sure, just something to watch out for.

Waldoduhh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The V6 trucks got PATS before the 4 cylinder trucks for some reason. When and why they went to using it on all trucks I'm not sure, just something to watch out for.
you think alldatadiy is worth it? Or should I just go find the books for a 97 and a 98 ranger to get the electronic schematics. I dont see it on the tech pages here

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That list is not right. ALL rangers had it by at least 2004 when they went to HEC clusters ( in 2005 no rangers had it, it was a strange year), I'm 99% sure both 4 and 6 cylinder trucks had PATS by 1999. 1996-1998 was the early PATS 1 system and specific to V6...

I may be wrong on some dates there but 4 cylinder rangers definitely got PATS way before 2006.

I do not think Alldata is worth it for a one truck. A factory service manual is.
But I don't use alldata much...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals