• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard to shift (sometimes???)

RadioactiveSoda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello again Ranger Station! A little quirk with my 1990 5-Speed Ranger is its difficulty shifting that happens on occasion. I originally suspected it was due to the climbing heat here in the PNW however I’ve found that it seems sort of random but the problem presents itself after driving for somewhat extended periods of time. Never right when it starts up. When shifting into gear it can be difficult and needs some strength. It has gotten to the point where I’ve been at a stop light with both hands on the stick trying my damndest to go into gear. It hasn’t gotten that severe in a while and most times I can shift. However, after parking somewhere for gas or whatnot the issue resolves. Recently, it came to me like a prophecy that it could be my clutch not fully engaging and so I’ve began to troubleshoot this issue as it appears by pulling my clutch pedal up and keeping a bit of pressure before letting go and shifting is much easier. Could it be my clutch cable is loose or the pedal itself needs some adjustment?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You wouldn't have a clutch cable, all rangers are hydraulic operation. Probably need to bleed the system, which means that you have a leak. Check the master cylinder for fluid loss. And be aware that there is a black rubber bellows that could potentially be sucked all the way down so that it looks like part of the master walls.

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
I had a similar problem in the heat last year. Same thing, transmission took strength to shift after an extended period of time and parking for a bit would resolve it. The first thing I tried, and what resolved it, was simply draining the transmission oil and filling it up until it just started to overflow. I did this a little over a year ago and have never had a problem since. I’d recommend trying that if you haven’t already.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals