• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard to shift into gear

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
95, 2.3L, 5 spd

Clutch pedal feels firm with no slop.

Sometimes I cannot get her to change into gear while driving. If I'm at a stoplight, she won't go into 1st/2nd very easily. I tried pumping the clutch pedal, but it didn't improve the situation at all.

I can kind of jam it into gear, but it is difficult. It feels like I am trying to push it through a wall. It's much easier to shift into 1st when I am coasting to a stop.

Also, sometimes she'll grind going into 3rd gear, even if the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor.

While the truck is off, I can shift into gears easily and smoothly.

Summary:
1. Very hard shift into 1st or 2nd; pumping pedal did not help.
2. 3rd gear grinds sometimes, even if clutch pedal is completely depressed.
3. Truck shifts into gear easily and smoothly when off.

I've read a lot of stuff saying that the MC and SC are the likely culprits. I haven't noticed any leaks, and all the fluids seem to be at correct levels and fluids are good.

Is there a linkage to adjust with these trannys, or is there a direct connect between shifter and tranny? I'm not exactly sure how this particular system works.

I read some stuff about brake fluid is what's used in the hydraulics. Does this mean it's fed from the brake reservoir, and I may just need a fluid change?

I've also read that bleeding the hydraulics on these models is a PITA. I've never, ever done any tranny work/maintenance besides drain and filling the tranny fluid. Is this something that can be done with basic tools and a basic understanding of the system?

TIA for the help!!

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
95, 2.3L, 5 spd

Clutch pedal feels firm with no slop.

Sometimes I cannot get her to change into gear while driving. If I'm at a stoplight, she won't go into 1st/2nd very easily. I tried pumping the clutch pedal, but it didn't improve the situation at all.

I can kind of jam it into gear, but it is difficult. It feels like I am trying to push it through a wall. It's much easier to shift into 1st when I am coasting to a stop.

Also, sometimes she'll grind going into 3rd gear, even if the clutch pedal is all the way to the floor.

While the truck is off, I can shift into gears easily and smoothly.

Summary:
1. Very hard shift into 1st or 2nd; pumping pedal did not help.
2. 3rd gear grinds sometimes, even if clutch pedal is completely depressed.
3. Truck shifts into gear easily and smoothly when off.

I've read a lot of stuff saying that the MC and SC are the likely culprits. I haven't noticed any leaks, and all the fluids seem to be at correct levels and fluids are good.

Is there a linkage to adjust with these trannys, or is there a direct connect between shifter and tranny? I'm not exactly sure how this particular system works.

I read some stuff about brake fluid is what's used in the hydraulics. Does this mean it's fed from the brake reservoir, and I may just need a fluid change?

I've also read that bleeding the hydraulics on these models is a PITA. I've never, ever done any tranny work/maintenance besides drain and filling the tranny fluid. Is this something that can be done with basic tools and a basic understanding of the system?

TIA for the help!!
It's time for a new slave cylinder, possible clutch master cylinder but most likely the slave. Tranny has to come out to replace it.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The truck isn't trying to creep forward with the clutch in does it?

Try this:
Hold light pressure on the stick while trying to put it in gear. If it easily drops right in after a few seconds, it's NOT the clutch/slave.

It could be the fluid type that's in it, or possibly the synchros are bad.
Try changing the fluid and make sure to use the older "Mercon" spec fluid, and NOT "Mercon V", as the V may be too slippery for the synchros to work right.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
No, the truck does not creep forward while in any gear.

I also tried lightly putting pressure on the stick, and it did not fall into gear. I also crawled under the truck, and it's bone dry. There's not even an oil leak. Which is new to me, since my Jeep leaks like a sieve.

If it was a bad MC or SC, would it go into gear after a few seconds? I'm not exactly sure how the entire system works.

If the synchros were bad, would it not go into 1st gear, even while I were completely stopped?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it doesn't drop in even if you hold pressure on the stick for a bit, then I would definitely turn my attention toward the clutch area.
Since you stated the fluid levels are OK and there are no leaks, my guess is it could be the pilot bearing.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That sounds like it would be fairly easy to change. I'll do a search around here and see what I come up with.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If the truck tries to creep forward while the clutch is depressed, is that a hydraulic issue like the SC?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It can be...

Creeping forward in most cases means the clutch disc isn't fully releasing when you push the pedal down (air in the hydraulics being the most common cause).

Fluid loss from a leaky slave cyl will eventually cause air to be drawn into the system at the clutch reservoir.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hum. Well, I sat on level ground and re-tested just to be sure and there's no forward creeping. I guess it's been narrowed down to a clutch issue.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the link. After reading some other stuff, that's the conclusion I've come to; my pilot bearing is FUBAR.

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My pilot bearing failed just recently, and the caused me to have to force it in gear, ultimately destroying two shift forks, i'd think it be best not to continue driving it like I did. If your slave isn't bad, just replace it while you have the trans out (hard lesson to learn).

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
From what I've seen, replacing a Pilot Bearing seems to be pretty straight-forward.

Can you inspect a pilot bearing w/o removing the tranny?

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
From what I've seen, replacing a Pilot Bearing seems to be pretty straight-forward.

Can you inspect a pilot bearing w/o removing the tranny?
No, you'll need the remove the transmission. You can really only check to make sure the slave is functioning.

bigalpha

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've never done any tranny work (except drain and fill fluid).

Is dropping the tranny and replacing the pilot bearing a gravel driveway project?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals