• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard drive problems?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know some of you know a lot about computers and what not... here's thesitiation, a friend of mine used to buy electronics at auctions, and sell it for a profit, fixing what is needed to be fixed as required, he fell out of it with a bunch of stuff left over, including this laptop. he no longer has time to sell it all, so he's getting me to do it for him. The laptop in question is an averatec e1200 (i'm sure no one has heard of it) it boots part way, does an averatec logo screen, starts the startup self check, and comes to a doss screen that says:

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8139(x)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.13 (020326)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_

after opening the computer up, and listening to the hard drive with a screwdriver on the ear, I can hear a few sets of clicks in the drive, as it boots, but no spinning noises. I have pulled the drive out, and tried the old nintendo blow in the connection trick, it didn't work...

I CAN get into the bios while it's booting up, and in the bios in the boot menu, the three boot devices are, in order, [CDROM: SM-Slimtype], [HDD:pM-IC25N060ATM], [Network: Realtek Bo] with those square brackets around them, and over on the right side, on the "description" section I suppose, it says "A device enclosed in parenthesis has been disabled in the corresponding type menu"

the fact that I can hear clicking in the HDD, but no spinning, and that it has been disabled in the bios, leads me to believe that the hard drive is pooched... right?

next question is what connector/type of drive is this? it says on it "ATA/IDE" but an ide drive has the power connector over on the side, separate from the main harness isn't it? this looks most like a PATA connector, but it doesn't say PATA anywhere on it... I am pretty sure it's not SATA though...

I may just have to throw this laptop out, depending on how much it's going to cost to repair, because now I have to get a set of recovery disks, and possibly a new hard drive...

just curious, i found this file, which looks like what I'll need to re install windows (I don't have the disks, but luckily the sticker on the bottom is still legible) but this says floppy disks, and when cd-rom doesn't work, i should be able to put this onto a cd anyways though, right?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Windows-XP-Pro-Startup-Disk.shtml

Attachments

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I searched on the model and found this...

http://uae.souq.com/ae-en/averatec-e1200-12-1-inch-80-gb-299149/i/#

I guess if you want to get it working as a challenge then it would be worthwhile, but I seriously doubt there would be much of a market for it...well, there's one born every minute...lol

It sounds more like the boot sequence is finding an error and halting...which is kind of strange since the device is not a critical failure (ethernet controller)...although it also sounds like the device is disabled (probably from previous troubleshooting to get past the error)...

Personally, that would be the first thing I would do on a boot error...disable the device to see if it goes past that point. If it doesn't, there is a built-in (by the manufacturer) exit sequence that is probably not something you can work around without flashing the BIOS with an update (if available).

I can't remember off-hand if was BIOS or CMOS...responsible for the hardware checks...but probably CMOS...and that needs to be flashed...

Maybe someone with more recent knowledge can chime in on that...but my troubleshooting was done years ago at that level and I used to know it like the...oh, wait, what's that on the back of my hand?

EDIT: Had to look it up...the CMOS cannot be flashed as it stores info about hardware...unless the time keeps resetting to original date the cmos is probably OK...or you need to change the battery...

The BIOS does the POST (power on self test) and that can be flashed...if available

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
From what I see you don't need to flash anything. That is a standard BIOS reaction when it can't find a bootable drive.

The connector is actually a common IDE connector for 2.5" drives. No separate power on the laptops.

Edit: Also if you're looking to be cost-effective, you have too old a system. It's only usefulness now is if it can be fixed for next to nothing... For what you'd spend on a hard drive, (Unless you find one on e-bay for like $10.) you could probably by a used netbook.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd pop this onto a CD and load it if you want to know what's salvageable. You could even use it with just it and a flash drive to store data on.

http://www.puppylinux.com/install.htm

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
From what I see you don't need to flash anything. That is a standard BIOS reaction when it can't find a bootable drive.

The connector is actually a common IDE connector for 2.5" drives. No separate power on the laptops.

Edit: Also if you're looking to be cost-effective, you have too old a system. It's only usefulness now is if it can be fixed for next to nothing... For what you'd spend on a hard drive, (Unless you find one on e-bay for like $10.) you could probably by a used netbook.
I'm glad I'm not depending on my TS skills anymore...I totally missed the boot device error...lol

Good call on the value of the device...I used to fix and build computers in my spare time and finally realized that most of the time the fix was more expensive than just buying new or used...fun to play with until they start being more expensive than good toys.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

agreed about the price, there's a 40gb hard drive that looks the same, on ebay, for $14, if i can fix it for about $20, I can probably sell it to a student who just needs to take notes in class or something, for around 50-100$

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
That's a standard 2.5" HDD for a laptop that's IDE (ie, PATA). Obsolete. Good news is that it's 60GB (reasonably big). Their lifetime is about 3 yrs of daily use. To discover whether the HDD itself still works, just insert it into a cheapo ($5) 2.5" HDD enclosure. The enclosure is a handy gadget that lets you plug it into a USB port, to use it exactly like a thumb drive. Then plug the USB enclosure into any other working computer. Like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2C50UB9486

Then you can test the HDD quality using "hitachi drive fitness test" which is an excellent freebie download. It'll give you a PASS/FAIL grade.

If the HDD is good, then you can load the bootable O/S onto it. If not, toss the HDD in the trash.

Either way, that 1.5GHz laptop is a good boat anchor. It's a 12 yo machine that's slow as molasses, even when running WinXP. No way I'd pay $50-$100. A student would need a modern fast laptop.

BTW, see the difference here: http://www.newmodeus.com/harddrives/SATAPATA.jpg

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Cvar is correct,

The hard drive shown above is a garden variety PATA/IDE NOTEBOOK drive, these use a different connector than the desktop IDE/PATA hard drive.

SATA drives use the same connector for both notebooks and desktops.

The four pins off by themselves are the Master-slave jumper connectors but these are rarely used under normal circumstances

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, where you been hiding allan? this thread hasn't been posted in for 8 months! lol, my laptop is long running again!

few other threads i see you have done this to also ;)

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Been busy with several other things... one of which is organizing several large media libraries.

Mind numbingly boring, but it pays in my getting copies of all the files

Where did you get another drive? because SFAIK nobody makes IDE notebook drives anymore.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ebay! I think it was like $20... I could have gotten an SSD, but it was much more expensive so I said f-that

great contribution to this thread, super relevant, glad you could make it out

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals