• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hard/Delayed 1-2 shift help

cody.conner12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, my 1989 ranger with a 1991 3.0 engine and tranny( A4LD ) is having problems! The 1-2 shift is hesitant and hard! The more throttle I give it, the longer it'll take before it shifts. It's gotten all the way to 5K rpms before. I usually have to get up about 20 mph( around 3K rpm) then let all the way off the gas, then when I get back into it'll be in 2nd gear. All other gears shift fine, but I do believe that it's skips 4th gear when in OD. It goes from 3K rpm(about 40 mph in 3rd if I'm correct) to about 1800 rpm. But I can put it in drive and I can tell it hits fourth from 3rd gear. I'm only 16, but I love working on vehicles and this is my first truck.

It's been doin this for awhile, I just haven't been able to come up with a solution! I've read that it could be the govenor, but I'd rather try something else a little easier and cheaper to get too.

Today I replaced the modulator valve, which didn't fix anything! The amount of fluid is correct, no problems getting into gear or reverse. A guy at advance auto parts told me that to him it sounds like a shift solenoid. Does it sound more like a solenoid or is it the govenor? Or if anyone could lead me in the right direction all help would be appreciated! Thanks!

- Cody

jhammel85

Sounds more likely to me that it's the Governor. I took mine out and replaced it with a new (to me) one and a heaver weight. The weight was a 35mm weight that's just a little bit bigger to keep it from Binding up.

cody.conner12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Where's the govenor located? How difficult would you say it is to change/replace? Thanks so much!

jhammel85

If its a 4x4,its behind the transfercase. You just drop it down after removing the crossmember. Its right in there.

Google a4ld governor replacement and you'll find a link to an explorer site where its outlined. You might be able to just take your old one off and clean it.

jhammel85

Oh and if it helps, you can shift to first, run it up to 2500 rpm and shift to drive. It'll shift then. Sometimes it'll loosen it up enough to where it won't stick anymore but usually, it'll have to be removed, cleaned and lightly sanded to fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals