• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hanyang Type 88

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Today I was upstairs at the ranch helping out with the computer up there. And the 2 cats were going crazy. They ran under the bed and I looked under it to see what they were doing. I noticed a rifle sitting there, it looked very old so I pulled it out and low and behold it was an old rifle. I went down to ask my grandpa what it was and he told me it was a 1888 Chinese mauser and said I could have it. On some research I found it was a Hanyang Type 88, a copy of the Gewehr 88 made by the Germans. It fires the 7.92x57 cartridge out of an 5 round en-block clip. Now I'll throw some pictures up tomorrow since it's late, but this thing is in rough shape. Its not really rusty but it's old. Everything works on it, the firing pin and the springs, and the internals look decent. It's pretty gunked up but I can clean it up nice. I would really like to shoot this, I've been reading around and plenty of people have said its junk and don't shoot it. And its old and dangerous. But I believe, recently I pulled out that old Arisaka and it looked like junk, but it fired and functioned just fine. But we will see, nonetheless its still cool, and is over 100 years old. It's also possible it takes the rimmed 8x57, but I think I'll put a round in and see how well it fits and cycles.

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
For the love of GOD, make sure you get the right ammo loads. The Gewehr 88's were not made for the more common "J" loads for the ubiquitous 8x57 Mauser 98's. Take it to a gunsmith to have it looked over. A 100+ yr old weapon can have various issues like a worn bore or bad headspacing. There are two loads, M/88 and 7.92x57 - remember, smokeless powder was just becoming a "thing" at the end of the 1900's, plus one is 0.318" and the other is 0.323". The difference between the 1888 round and the 1905 round is noticeable.

The other concern if it's truly based on a Gew. 88 (eagerly waiting on your pics) is moisture can get in between the tube encasing the barrel and the barrel itself. Does it look like this?

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
I don't know if I'd want to fire it with that huge crack in the stock. I've handled one Gewehr 88 and don't recall the hole in the floor plate of the magazine like yours. I think if it were me, I'd clean it up a little and give it wall-hanger status.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Yeah the stock is pretty bad I can get a new one but the hole is for the en block clip

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I myself think I would pass on firing it, too many other good guns to try. Would be interesting to find out what all them stamping (?) are on the rear stock, third picture.
Dave

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I myself think I would pass on firing it, too many other good guns to try. Would be interesting to find out what all them stamping (?) are on the rear stock, third picture.
Dave
As much as I would love to shoot it, I guess I should just display it. Usually the symbols on the back would mean something like training, but I haven't had the time to look it up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals