• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

hangers and shackles

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
i will be doing leaf spring hanger and shackle replacement on saturday. any advice would be appreciated. this is the first time I will ever be taking the bed off. is there anything else I should do or be looking for while under there? I bought all of the parts from autozone today and would like to get all parts before i begin to reduce running back and forth time.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Just the rear hangers? I wouldn't waste my time pulling the bed. Lots of room to get at everything on the back ones!

forzda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 mazda B300
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Getting the rivets out can be a bitch with the bed on. the best way I found was to grind a X in the head of the rivet to the frame rail ,then use a air chisel to knock the heads off. Make sure you clean the spring eyes well so the bushings will fit in . I ended up making a tool to press them into the eyes while the springs were on the truck .

Observer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Damn, yeah no way I would do it without pulling the bed! So little effort for a ton more working room..

I used 4.5inch bolts (9/16" diam) for the leaf hardware and with washers on each end it worked exactly. Tech library was wrong- 4" was too short.

That, and (1/2" diam) hardware to hold the hangers on. You may need to drill them out to 1/2", same with the frame.

Check the fuel filler hose, gas tank, brake lines,

My truck is older so im not positive if you have the same hangers? Probly yes but grade 8 stuff is pricey so dont buy it till you check!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
use lots of liquid wrench. sometimes the bolts just don't want to budge. also, an angle grinder works well to take the heads off the rivets. then use the air chisel to punch the rivets out. also, make sure to be safe jacking up the truck. make sure its not going to fall for any reason. also, it might be worth trying to get the rust off the frame while you have the bed off and repaint it. good luck :icon_welder:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Go with the proper 7/16" hardware for the hangers. Why drill the frame/bracket for nothing? I had plenty of room to get at my hanger/shackles when I did them with a stepside bed on so you should be fine. Just be warned, you MIGHT have to change your spring eye bushing if the bolt's siezed in there. They are pressed in and a PITA if you've never done it before.

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm going to stick with the 7/16" that comes with the hangers. I will be taking the bed off to give me more room. I don't like bloody knuckles if it can be avoided. Is there any risk with grinding so close to the gas tank? I told my dad I was doing this project and hes like don't grind that close to the tanke you might blow it up. Is it a legitimate concern? Is there any precautions I should take with that? Even if the bolts are not stuck in the bushing should i replace them anyways since ill already almost have it to that point?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I didn't have any problem with explosions. haha. just be careful and move things out of the way if you can. ie: the fuel neck. Its probably not going to blow it up. and I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't think it would but my dad likes being overly cautious. Also what are the torque specs for the hanger bolts? The bolt that connects the shackle to the hanger? the bolt for the shackle leaf spring?

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i did mine some time ago, i did the rear hangers first, used a torch to remove the rivits/bolts, when i did the rears i left the bed on. a year after doing th rear hangers i did the front ones, tried removing the bed bolts but leaving the rear ones loose & tilting the bed back (like a dump bed) ended up disturbing the fuel lines just enogh to cause a fuel leak, pulled the bed clear off the next day to put a fuel pump in it. used a air hammer with a chiesel bit to remove the front hanger rivits, that worked better than the torch. painted the hanges with areosol truck bedliner spray before installing, i did put in new spring bushings, my hanger kit came with new bolts, self-locking nuts, just tightend them down good, didnt put a tourque wrench to them. painted the frame before putting the bed back on. i recomend pulling the bed off, makes access so much easier.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I didn't think it would but my dad likes being overly cautious. Also what are the torque specs for the hanger bolts? The bolt that connects the shackle to the hanger? the bolt for the shackle leaf spring?

dude....your dad is right.

i may not pop the bed off....but i will remove or cover the gas tank with a wet welding blanket if i have to get brutal...

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I do not have a welding blanket. Is there any thing else I could use to cover it? i do not feel like removing gas tank.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
wet rags/towel/blanket.....wet wet.

even soaked cardboard for deflection...

brwntom

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
After just 3 days of normal driving the rear of the leaf is ****ing my bed up. I will be parking it tomorrow morning and driving my gpas f150 until saturday, which will be the first day ill have a chance to fix it. :annoyed:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals