• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Handmade exhaust piece

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426223261.596125.jpg so I got rid of my cats on my truck so I could put a high flow cat on it. Made this so that it was the oval part at the end of the y-pipe to 2.5" round exhaust piece. Might actually make some for anyone wanting to replace their cats with a higher flowing one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried it yet?

There is often some confusion on how tuned exhaust systems work.

A tuned exhaust will produce negative pressure at the exhaust valves, so when exhaust valve first opens exhaust is pulled out, this lessens the load on the engine to push it out, highest negative pressure will occur at a specific RPM which can be tuned by pipe size and length, near this RPM will be the "power range" for that tuning, low-range, mid-range, or high-range.
Factory exhausts are tuned, for most part, for mid-range.
Add-on headers are usually tuned for low-range, but "Racing Headers" are tuned for high-range.
None of these add power, unless factory exhaust wasn't tuned, they just change when the highest negative pressure occurs in the RPM range and this is when the engine will have extra scavenged power, so you are not adding power just adjusting when the power occurs.

The low pressure is created by creating velocity in the smaller pipes at the exhaust valves, when the smaller pipe's flow gets to the larger "collector" pipe it creates a suction effect on the other smaller pipes connected to that collector.
So as each cylinder dumps it's exhaust it creates negative pressure at the other cylinders exhaust valves on that bank.
"H" and "X" pipes on dual exhaust systems are added for the same reason, to try and maintain lower pressure by scavenging the velocity in the system.

Back pressure myth comes from this negative pressure tuned exhaust.
For example, say there was a factory tuned exhaust on an engine using 1.25" exhaust pipe at the exhaust valves, and the owner decided to make a "free flowing" exhaust system and put on 2" pipes at the exhaust valves.
Result would be a loss of power.
Owners conclusion would be that this engine needs back pressure at the exhaust valves for best power............................but that isn't correct.
By increasing the pipe size and lowering the velocity, the owner, in effect, increased the pressure at the valves by eliminating the negative pressure, so lost the tuned exhaust benefit.
No engine, except 2-strokes, run better with back pressure, it is truly a myth

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Excellent idea. I've been meaning to do this myself and haven't made the time to do it yet. As far from the motor as this is I don't think it would have any negative effects from decreasing back pressure.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No back pressure on 4-stroke engines, back pressure bad, no pressure OK, negative pressure good

Edgefevah

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried it yet?

There is often some confusion on how tuned exhaust systems work.

A tuned exhaust will produce negative pressure at the exhaust valves, so when exhaust valve first opens exhaust is pulled out, this lessens the load on the engine to push it out, highest negative pressure will occur at a specific RPM which can be tuned by pipe size and length, near this RPM will be the "power range" for that tuning, low-range, mid-range, or high-range.
Factory exhausts are tuned, for most part, for mid-range.
Add-on headers are usually tuned for low-range, but "Racing Headers" are tuned for high-range.
None of these add power, unless factory exhaust wasn't tuned, they just change when the highest negative pressure occurs in the RPM range and this is when the engine will have extra scavenged power, so you are not adding power just adjusting when the power occurs.

The low pressure is created by creating velocity in the smaller pipes at the exhaust valves, when the smaller pipe's flow gets to the larger "collector" pipe it creates a suction effect on the other smaller pipes connected to that collector.
So as each cylinder dumps it's exhaust it creates negative pressure at the other cylinders exhaust valves on that bank.
"H" and "X" pipes on dual exhaust systems are added for the same reason, to try and maintain lower pressure by scavenging the velocity in the system.

Back pressure myth comes from this negative pressure tuned exhaust.
For example, say there was a factory tuned exhaust on an engine using 1.25" exhaust pipe at the exhaust valves, and the owner decided to make a "free flowing" exhaust system and put on 2" pipes at the exhaust valves.
Result would be a loss of power.
Owners conclusion would be that this engine needs back pressure at the exhaust valves for best power............................but that isn't correct.
By increasing the pipe size and lowering the velocity, the owner, in effect, increased the pressure at the valves by eliminating the negative pressure, so lost the tuned exhaust benefit.
No engine, except 2-strokes, run better with back pressure, it is truly a myth

Yupp tried this on my ranger and it works very well. Finished the rest of the exhaust with 2 MAC mufflers with 2.5" piping. Sounds great, and works great. Still got torque all the way to 4000rpm. Need to add some tailpipes and then I won't get drone on the hwy. I'd say 9/10.

RickSycamore

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
View attachment 17935 so I got rid of my cats on my truck so I could put a high flow cat on it. Made this so that it was the oval part at the end of the y-pipe to 2.5" round exhaust piece. Might actually make some for anyone wanting to replace their cats with a higher flowing one.
Hey gotta revive this old thread. I’ve recently inherited a truck that turned out to have the cat cut off. I do the have the remaining piping and muffler, just not the cat. The part you’ve created looks exactly like something I would need to replace the missing cat. Can you provide some more details on making of this marvel of yours? Thank

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals