• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Handling issues....

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93 Ranger 2.3l 5-speed manual with a stock 7.5 open diff and 3.45 gears. Truck has for a long time been prone to spinning the inside wheel in a semi-sharp to sharp turn (90deg) with stock size tires. Now running 30" tires and truck handles in the rain kinda like it's snow. Taking a turn from a stop sign on a damp street and it can turn into drifting easily. Was taking of straight from a light in first and it started to spin. I let off the throttle and shifted to 2nd and went a few feet and it spun some more. Any thoughts on what could be going on? I am by no means a car dummy but I just want some other opinions.

More info:
230,000 miles
5-spd Manual is a donor 97 with 100,000ish miles on it now.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hmmm...I will do a WAG. When you want to stop one wheel peel when you're in mud or on ice you can engage the e-brake slightly. That usually fools the diff into giving equal torque to both axles. I think the inertia from the bigger tires is doing the same thing.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I'm thinking either bald tires, or someone's being way too aggressive on the go-pedal.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is a worn-out clutch that's slipping, which would kindof seem like the tires lose traction, but of course there'd be no tire squeal sound (and no oversteer or sliding out sideways). A slipping clutch is also more likely to be observed first in 4th or 5th gear before it is in 1st or 2nd.

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
Found some used tires (215/60 R16) that will get me back to the factory size (225/70 R14). Those 30" tires made 4th gear seem like overdrive and the 2.3 couldn't do anything with actual overdrive.

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
Those bigger (30") tires were the issue. The truck is hooking up much better now. Went ahead and did the shackle flip to the rear to level it and get rid of some of the excessive gap above the tires.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals