• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Had a very good day yesterday

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
That reminds me of how I labeled the breaker panel in my house when I re-wired it... All the stickers fell off within a month.

Yea I got no clue what breaker does what now. :icon_confused:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
That reminds me of how I labeled the breaker panel in my house when I re-wired it... All the stickers fell off within a month.

Yea I got no clue what breaker does what now. :icon_confused:
At least you labeled yours... I had to guess which breaker to shut off the other day when I replaced the dish washer. I got it on the first guess!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I usually get it on the 16th guess... or I just get fed up running up and down the stairs and shut off the main.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
We had to put a PCM in an Escape a few weeks ago. Old one was cooked and no data could be pulled from it. The sticker on the trans with the solenoid ID and strategy codes had been rubbed clean by a heater hose, and when we pulled the pan we had to hold the flash light at just the right angle to view not the ID code stamping in the plug, but the relief and shadows of the stamping because it sits under the pan seal which rubs on it and wears it off.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
We had to put a PCM in an Escape a few weeks ago. Old one was cooked and no data could be pulled from it. The sticker on the trans with the solenoid ID and strategy codes had been rubbed clean by a heater hose, and when we pulled the pan we had to hold the flash light at just the right angle to view not the ID code stamping in the plug, but the relief and shadows of the stamping because it sits under the pan seal which rubs on it and wears it off.
I was shocked the first time I had to get the code off the trans to program a PCM.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I was shocked the first time I had to get the code off the trans to program a PCM.
Despite having worked in the same spot for the last 28 years the guy doing it is a total goon and had no idea what he was doing.

I had to show him how to start the programming from a held session because it didn't want to do it from manual vin entry. Once the primary flash was done I had to tell him about the trans codes when he had DTCs for the mismatch. Then I had to show him where to enter the info, and where to find it.

It literally took him all day to install and program the PCM, and he had the new unit in before 9 AM.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Despite having worked in the same spot for the last 28 years the guy doing it is a total goon and had no idea what he was doing.

I had to show him how to start the programming from a held session because it didn't want to do it from manual vin entry. Once the primary flash was done I had to tell him about the trans codes when he had DTCs for the mismatch. Then I had to show him where to enter the info, and where to find it.

It literally took him all day to install and program the PCM, and he had the new unit in before 9 AM.

WOW!!!!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

I get paid hourly and it didn’t take me anywhere near that long.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I understand why super duties have 2 different frames, the frame on the chassis cab is designed to be easier for body companies to mount their products on. If they used the same frame under a pickup box it would sit too high. There's a lot of stuff that gets built that doesn't make sense until you realize the bean counter over ruled the engineer. Econolines with rear disc brakes to this day don't have rear brake shields so the road salt and dirt get into the brakes and chew them up, there's been a TSB to address it since about 09. You'd think by now they be added during production but it's cheaper for Ford to fix them under warranty in the 20% of the US where road salt is used than to install them on 100% of production. It's b/s, if you can order California emissions in NH- which we did because VT,Ma,Me. and NY require them and we swapped with other dealers- you should be able to order a winter package that would include unique equipment.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I thought that was all in the VIN? Or (am I missing something) do different transmissions use the same VIN code? Or does the same transmission have different configurations? OK, I'll freely admit this has me thoroughly confused.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I thought that was all in the VIN? Or (am I missing something) do different transmissions use the same VIN code? Or does the same transmission have different configurations? OK, I'll freely admit this has me thoroughly confused.
This has to do with installing a new PCM when you can’t pull the info from the old one. During the PMI, you need to get a 10 (or so) digit code off a tag on the trans case. It has to do with the shift strategies. I only needed to do it once when day shift screwed up a PMI. I started over with As Built data.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The VIN identifies the transmission if it's entered into OASIS by a Ford dealer. The same transmissions, engines, etc , models can and do have different calibrations. "they're all the same" has never been true, I built a C4 for my Ranger using the one I took out of an 81 Cougar with a 200 six cylinder as a base and the reverse/high and direct drums out of a V8 Mustang II transmission because they each had an extra clutch plate. My 80+ year old friend sells Model A parts at swap meets an has told me many times how many different parts were used to build them- Ford even had 2 different companies building bodies 2 different ways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals