• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Guide rig

Clarkmarine10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4.0
Transmission
Manual
What’s going on everyone!!! I got a 97 xlt 4.0 4x4 I just purchased a leveling kit and 4 shocks from rough country and having 31 10.50 put on the factory 15 in wheels. I guide for elk and deer in the fall and this trucks primary purpose is that. Does anyone have drawing or good pics for a front winch mount The front receivers I’ve seen online sit to low and would be problematic for ground clearance. Any help with s drawing or photos of a diy winch setup would be awesome. As I’m not interested in a aftermarket modular bumper

dustyrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4.0 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
What’s going on everyone!!! I got a 97 xlt 4.0 4x4 I just purchased a leveling kit and 4 shocks from rough country and having 31 10.50 put on the factory 15 in wheels. I guide for elk and deer in the fall and this trucks primary purpose is that. Does anyone have drawing or good pics for a front winch mount The front receivers I’ve seen online sit to low and would be problematic for ground clearance. Any help with s drawing or photos of a diy winch setup would be awesome. As I’m not interested in a aftermarket modular bumper
PO made the bumper and mount in my profile pic that I had a 10k warn on until recently. Still have it but some of the main welds are cracked (this PO really knew what he was doing 😂) and I am trying to think of ways to mount it behind the grill now.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is the downside to receiver mounted winches, they hang down low.

I am wanting to either track down or reverse engineer a Warn Transformer grille guard which had a winch mount built into it so I can keep the stock bumper.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
On my '88 I cut a square hole through the middle of the bumper and mounted a "hitch" right behind that...basically a piece of square tubing bolted between the frame rails with a 2" receiver tube welded perpendicularly to it. Depending on your fabrication skills and desire to cut a hole in your bumper, you could go that route... it was pretty easy to build and keeps the winch up at bumper level.

Clarkmarine10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4.0
Transmission
Manual
On my '88 I cut a square hole through the middle of the bumper and mounted a "hitch" right behind that...basically a piece of square tubing bolted between the frame rails with a 2" receiver tube welded perpendicularly to it. Depending on your fabrication skills and desire to cut a hole in your bumper, you could go that route... it was pretty easy to build and keeps the winch up at bumper level.
I was kind thinking the same thing. Just running a 2x2 .250 sq tube between the frame rails perpendicular. It won’t make a hell of a radiator guard as well I wonder if it would be sufficient for a 5000 lbs winch

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Should be fine within reason. I'd probably put at least an 8000lb winch on your rig...that's what I have on two of mine, Smittybilt XRC-8's. I think that's about the minimum you should run on anything bigger than an ATV.

Clarkmarine10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It would be used for logs mostly possible self recovery but it would be minimal

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Buy once cry once.

Welcome to TRS...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals