• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gt40p heads from ebay

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
is buying a set of gt40p heads off ebay a safe buy? or should I try to go to a junk yard? They are pretty cheap on ebay and Im kinda busy so I would be more inclined to take advantage of the convenience. Was planning on getting a set of trick flow springs to go with it, fyi... Has anyone bought heads off ebay and if so was it a positive experience?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would avoid the P heads, they really suck for header choices. If you must stick with factory heads go for the plain GT40s if you can get them. Just know that with the P heads you are pretty much limited to factory Explorer exhaust manifolds, a pair of $600+ Torque monster headers (if they are available still), or a near impossible spark plug change with other headers. Can't comment on the heads from ebay aspect of you question, I've only bought one set of heads and it was from Alabama Cylinder Head Exchange for a 4.0L.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
is buying a set of gt40p heads off ebay a safe buy? or should I try to go to a junk yard? They are pretty cheap on ebay and Im kinda busy so I would be more inclined to take advantage of the convenience. Was planning on getting a set of trick flow springs to go with it, fyi... Has anyone bought heads off ebay and if so was it a positive experience?
Your question is conditional. Ebay is not the seller. It depends on the seller as to whether or not your experience is satisfactory. Ask plenty of questions, and be sure you save the conversation. I had to use emails between me and a seller (prior to the sale) to get money back on an item. Read the sellers feedback!!!!

As far as the P heads are concerned, they are great heads. I wouldn't pay over $250 shipped for them though. I got mine for about $200 locally, already pulled. They are indeed a bit more challenging for header clearance, but worth the effort IMO.

EDIT: Also, my heads came off of a wrecked Mercury Mountaineer with 68,000 miles.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have heard you can run 90* boots on the offending cylinders and run whatever headers tickle your fancy.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I have heard you can run 90* boots on the offending cylinders and run whatever headers tickle your fancy.
I am running plug wires from an 89 Blazer with a 5.7 liter (90 degree boots). It wasn't necessary on all cylinders on my application, probably only two.

This is cylinder 7:

As you can see, the 135 degree boots would work fine on the passenger side:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Just another FYI... If you still have a clearance issue with 90 degree boots, ACCEL makes a shorty plug (U-Groove IIRC) that will give you another 1/2"-3/4" clearance.

EDIT: I've been reading that the P heads really like copper plugs - so I think I'll make the switch next summer.

Do you have a picture of your Hedman headers?

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just another FYI... If you still have a clearance issue with 90 degree boots, ACCEL makes a shorty plug (U-Groove IIRC) that will give you another 1/2"-3/4" clearance.
You beat me to it - again! Think the number is P526S but thought it only gave another 1/4" clearance.
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
You beat me to it - again! Think the number is P526S but thought it only gave another 1/4" clearance.
Dave
Might be only 1/4" - I was thinking it was around a 1/2" I got.

EDIT: You also need to get plugs for the Explorer, not the Mustang.

EDIT 2: Here we go, Dave is right:

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only problem with them shorter plugs is the cost but cheaper than special headers.
Dave

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
I can get some pictures of my hedgers no problem. Just wanna clean em up a bit first. Upper radiator hose burst the other day and made a mess of everything. I'll post some pictures in a week or so when I get the new cylinder heads on. Found a 5.0L explorer for $300 with all kinds of goodies. GT40 heads. Will go with those unless a set of "P"'s show up. Might have a lead on a 98' that would have them. But it's gonna cost a lot more... We'll see how it pans out. So yeah, pics of the headers after I put em back on cleaned up. Was thinking about wrapping them... yes or no?

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Either head is a decent head. I personally like the P head for the smaller combustion chamber, better flowing exhaust (why the plug angle changed), and lack of EGR holes.

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

allpau2thou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
1991 5.0 H.O. carbureted
Transmission
Automatic
Would a set of trick flow springs and longer roller rockers have the same results on the gt40's? I'm hoping a set of "p"'s pops up but if not I have 40's to use. Just wondering...

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have some regular GT40's sitting in the garage just taking up space. Came off an early '97 Explorer. They're kind of dirty, though. A thorough cleaning would be needed.

The new ones I'm getting are going to cost A LOT more than anything Ford ever made...

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Would a set of trick flow springs and longer roller rockers have the same results on the gt40's? I'm hoping a set of "p"'s pops up but if not I have 40's to use. Just wondering...
The Trick Flow springs will go well with either head. As far as the rocker arm is concerned, that is dependent on the cam you use. Refresh my memory... what block/pistons are you using? Is it the 91 block and pistons? Does it still have the factory cam?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals