• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Grunch" Sound from Passenger Side Front

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2001 Edge 3.0 Auto 4x4

I know exactly what you're thinking; upper and/or lower ball joints.

I don't think so and here's why; they're less than two years old, have good seals and are greased. I had an alignment last Fall and I know the tech. If there was an issue with them he would have said something.

I do have a tie-rod end with a broached seal but it has a good amount of grease in it, still moves freely and I don't think it would generate that type of sound.

I only hear the sound on compression (not rebound) and only when encountering a bump that compresses the front suspension more than 6". That is, I do not hear any sound while driving, small pavement undulations do not trigger this. Shocks are brand new.

Do the control arms need lubrication at their pivot points? I do see any way to grease them but could certainly shoot some type of lubricant onto them.

Thoughts?

TIA, Dave.

hopster

Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0, 5.0 can't decide
Transmission
Manual
check of the ball joints and tie rod ends for tightness one more time. just in case. but i think you may be hearing the bumpstop. i have run into similar concerns before and discovered that some make noise when compress, but there is no repair for bumpstop noise unless it is found that it is deteriorated.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, can check once again. Bump stop, eh? I can look into that as well Thanks.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Every single time I have heard a "grunch" from the front of my 4x4, Ford, Chevy or Dodge, it's been the bearings. Every. Single. Time. Usually at the most inopportune times, IE., at night, away from support, with no money in the account. I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bearings? As in "wheel bearings"? If so, then why don't I hear this sound all of the time? :icon_confused:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check all bushings sway bar etc...

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bearings? As in "wheel bearings"? If so, then why don't I hear this sound all of the time? :icon_confused:
when mine were going bad, it would only sound grunchy when I was turning away from the bad wheel bearing, i.e. left turns would grunch the right wheel bearing. I could see them only grunching on the rebound or impact over a bump

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic

The "grunch" noise would be the wheel bearings disassociating themselves in the hub. The only way you could hear them all the time is if you continually drive on the bad, "grunched", bearings. Luckily that is where natural selection kicks in.:icon_twisted:

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
black_demon69 said:
check all bushings sway bar etc...
Yep, that's the plan.
96firephoenix said:
when mine were going bad, it would only sound grunchy when I was turning away from the bad wheel bearing, i.e. left turns would grunch the right wheel bearing. I could see them only grunching on the rebound or impact over a bump
dirtcowboy said:
The "grunch" noise would be the wheel bearings disassociating themselves in the hub. The only way you could hear them all the time is if you continually drive on the bad, "grunched", bearings. Luckily that is where natural selection kicks in.:icon_twisted:
Yeah, as I mentioned, it's only on compression and only on the passenger side. I also know what bad bearings sound like and this isn't quite that sound. It's more along the 'old Mustang dry lower control arm" sound which is why I asked about lubing those pivot points. I guess I need to get the truck on stands and use the floor jack to compress the right front suspension.

Could it be the torsion bar, in any way?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals