• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinds my gears about a Fuel station observation

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With the high compression heads I run I need to run 94 octane fuel. There is only one company that offers it. Husky/Mohawk.

I mix it up once and a while and go to 4 different stations to get gas.

Two station in particular I find the truck pings whenever i use that fuel, almost like it's a lower grade. Now the thing I noticed about this set of pumps is it's the only two of the 4 to have the Multigrade pumps, (3 grades out of 1 nozzle).

My guess is that there is still the low grade fuel still in the lines before the Premium grade starts to flow out. How much i don't know. Kinda a rip off when you think about it. Depending on how much fuel is still left in teh line from the last pump. Out of the 40 liters or so how much is the lower grade, assuming that is what was pumped before you got there! So you essentially pay Premium price for 4 liters of residue low grade fuel that comes out first. I know it's not even amounts to a buck but I notice it in the way my truck runs.

Anyone else wonder about this? Guess that narrows me down to 2 stations to fill up at.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
i have often wondered about that very same thing........

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I've thought that too, when I go to fill up my truck at Shell I'll drive around the Fuel lot to find any pump that had V-Power 91 dialed up on it last, if none then I'll find 89 then 87 Octane. Maybe I'm a little weird but I hate being ripped off.

erocka1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i may be crazy but i also like to hold the hose way up high when im done pumping to make sure gravity gives me every last drop in the hose. i dont know if it works or not cuz they prolly shut it off at the nozzle but i do it anyway lol

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
It's funny you say that because when the pump shut off/closes the nozzle I always give it a couple knocks from side to side to get that last few drops.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's funny you say that because when the pump shut off/closes the nozzle I always give it a couple knocks from side to side to get that last few drops.
I do that out of curtosey. Many of times I've grabbed the nozzle and there has been fuel still in it and i end up flinging it all over the fender of the truck.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
I do that out of curtosey. Many of times I've grabbed the nozzle and there has been fuel still in it and i end up flinging it all over the fender of the truck.

Good point , I never thought of it that way:icon_thumby:

86XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'86
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
do you not have a Sunoco up there?? thats the only station around my area that has 94 oct. however there is a hole in the wall gas station run by muslims and they have a complete seperate pump that has race fuel...i dont remember what octane, 107 or something like that, but i do know that they have bigger nozzles on the pump that dont fit into reg. sized car fillers. I used this stuff once in a TSI talon i had to race my buddy...i dunno if it was connected but i ended up melting a piston a few months after....it might have been due to me being dumb at 16 yr old and runnin the turbo at about 20 psi

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
The amount of fuel left in the line is very little. It's around 8~16 oz. Basicly what ever amount can remain in the line it self. The pumps at the old gas station that I worked at pumped directly from the tank it self at the pump. So the gas pump has 3 direct line to each gas grade tank. When you make a selection, a valve opens and gas starts to flow. Also, there was no actual pump in the fill-up pump. The pump is actually located in the main tank it self.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals