• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding noise, loss of power from stop when trying to accelerate

lucasruble

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hello!

I am having the exact same problem as another thread (Quoted below. Also, I don't think my grinding noise is as aggressive as described in the quote), but I eliminated the possibility of it being the rear axle (the cause of the problem in the quoted thread) by removing the driveline, engaging 4WD, and trying to take off. The grinding noise persisted.. My Ranger is a '93. I have also eliminated the transmission by replacing it (I had a trans fail years ago that had similar symptoms, so I thought it may be the same issue). So, that leaves clutch, and transfer case. I believe the clutch is over five years old. What does anyone think?

"I have a 1999 ranger 4x4 5 speed manual. Today I was pulling out onto a street in 1st gear and started to accelerate when all of a sudden I hear this loud gear grinding noise and I lose power to my wheels. Once I put the clutch in. It goes away. It goes in gear fine. If I let the clutch out super slow and give little to no gas I can go forward but once I let out the clutch at normal speed or I press on the gas when moving the sound happens again. The noise sounds like if you grind a gear accidentally shifting but way louder and more aggressive."

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Experiment with the transfer case, putting it in different positions and see if that affects the noise.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals