• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grill removal?

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have that ugly @$$ honey comb grill on my truck, and would like to take it off and "modify" it some. does anyone here know how to get the blooming thing off?? I took the four screws out across the top and no luck, I'm gonna look and see if I have a small mirror to check the back side for any "hidden" clips.

Thanks all.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Yup, it is a pain.
You need to remove the shell first which includes the area under the headlights.
There are push clip six of them that need to be pulled out or maybe a small screw driver can release them.
If you pull them, watch out because they release quickly and you could break the shell or at least crack it as I did. A little fiberglass cloth and resin fixed it up but if you are more careful than I was you won't have to fit it.

Here is pic of the back of my shell, the mtg tabs and the repair:

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Scrambler82/03 Ranger/?action=view&current=MtgTabs6.jpg

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/Scrambler82/03 Ranger/?action=view&current=RepairtoGrilleShell.jpg

ltr

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forcefull, yet delicate in tugging the grille shell. I like to remove the headlamps and corner lamps so i can use a screw driver on the clips under the lamps. The two center ones you can't get to...just tug.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys! I got to looking at it and noticed what you both are speaking of, now just got to figure out what I'm gonna do to it. Will post before and after pics when I'm done.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah...what are you doing? I know after a few years they turn a light grey in color....repaint? Billet?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I found a little lite buffing with a fine scotch pad will bring back the grey but for how long, who knows, depends on what you are looking for.

I ended up painting my grille black (grabbed the gloss instead of the semi-gloss but it looks OK for now).

Make sure to use the DuPont Adhesive Promoter first, then the paint, more DuPont paint.

I was looking for the "Plasti-Cote" Brand of paint but couldn't locate it close to me; the finish from the Plasti-Cote is so smooth you almost think it is colored chrome.

Take your time, do it right the first time...

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yeah...what are you doing? I know after a few years they turn a light grey in color....repaint? Billet?
To be honest I haven't decided what I'm gonna do with it yet. Surprisingly enough my grill is still black unlike my "black" fender flares that are so faded that they are beyond gray and almost look white. :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals