• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Greetings from South Kalifornikstan

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
We have BLM land that is open for shooting. It's does not cost anything. Bee Canyon is 6 miles from my house and Berdoo Canyon is a little over an hour drive. Bee Canyon is closed during high fire hazard conditions though. So far it's open. Was there yesterday.
I am a competitive shooter and compete in one or two matches per month. Well, not so much since the middle of March. But things are starting to get back to normal a little.
Oh nice I though they closed the BLM land....I usually go up the 14N into Mojave for open use land...

Do you set up your own targets each time? That pretty much the biggest hassle to me when shooting not at a range....The benefits far outweigh this inconvenience though. I ride a mini pitbike, so I dont have to walk/hike back and forth to and from my targets...and thats for within 100 yds lol

My buddy has a spot in lake elizabeth where we can shoot off his back porch....hanging/standing a bunch of steel plate was a bit of a PITA, made me appreciate the targets galore ranges provide.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I grew up in California, got the heck out of there for a couple of years and lived in Montana. It was the best time ever. Took a job and moved back to California, I thought it wouldn’t be so bad. That was three years ago. I am currently working on going back to Montana.

Gosh California is an overcrowded hellhole.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Lol Oh I read that backwards and thought U keep the flies and I get the rest :D

Naw actually the thumbs up was for everything else but the flies (and mosquitos).

California used to be awesome too, before it turned super blue...the hippies gave birth to hipsters.

Which has caused major gentrification and skyrocket prices in crappy neighborhoods. They prefer paying exorbitant rents for an "authentic" ghetto urban living experience, like its a status thing or something (highland park and eagle rock are becoming the next silverlake). They also will drink expensive liquor and cheap beer (usually pabst).

The mosquitos and flies get pretty bad here too...I have citronella and various types of lavender planted in pots around the outdoor hangout area, They seem to really help deter the bugs. Flies and mosquitos suck at flying in any slight breeze, so a few oscillating fans in the area also helps keep it clear.

Citronella candles dont do jack!

Gun laws are super strict, just getting to the shooting range (or desert) and back can be nerve racking.

Everything requires a permit and/or fees

yes we do have the weather. +12 degrees F is the coldest I ever been in. Cant imagine 30 below I would need a space suit! Summer gets hot though, usually at least a month of 95+degree days, not consecutive, but there are sometimes consecutive 110+ days.

Ill wait a few more years until that 20 below gets to 10 above lol
Openly carrying a gun has always been legal and a couple years ago they did away with concealed carry permits. Most people don't openly carry guns but concealed carry used to be sticky:: I could legally wear a pistol on my belt, but if I put on a jacket,it was illegal. If a rifle was hanging in a rear window rack it was legal, if you didn't want the rack to chafe the finish so you wrapped the rifle in a blanket and put it behind the seat it was illegal. Just B/S,playing simon says with constitutional rights.
I think the mosquito is the NH state bird, everywhere around my house there's wet places for them to breed in because granite doesn't drain well.
You get used to changes in weather as long as they're gradual, we got snow on May 9th and it was 87 and humid last week, that wasn't gradual enough. Once the temp hits 10-15 below zero it feels cold and 35 below doesn't feel much difference. If I go outside and the snow squeaks when I walk, it's cold. You probably haven't experienced frost heaves, the ground water freezes and the roads buckle upward for a free shock absorber test.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Openly carrying a gun has always been legal and a couple years ago they did away with concealed carry permits. Most people don't openly carry guns but concealed carry used to be sticky:: I could legally wear a pistol on my belt, but if I put on a jacket,it was illegal. If a rifle was hanging in a rear window rack it was legal, if you didn't want the rack to chafe the finish so you wrapped the rifle in a blanket and put it behind the seat it was illegal. Just B/S,playing simon says with constitutional rights.
I think the mosquito is the NH state bird, everywhere around my house there's wet places for them to breed in because granite doesn't drain well.
You get used to changes in weather as long as they're gradual, we got snow on May 9th and it was 87 and humid last week, that wasn't gradual enough. Once the temp hits 10-15 below zero it feels cold and 35 below doesn't feel much difference. If I go outside and the snow squeaks when I walk, it's cold. You probably haven't experienced frost heaves, the ground water freezes and the roads buckle upward for a free shock absorber test.
Yea its that same thing here, major gray area w/ such laws...Ironically as strict as gun laws are here, we do have ccw, but its a PITA to get (basically know someone)...but, they honor out of state ccw, so most ppl go get one from one of the nearby gun fiendly states and are pretty much good to go (loophole galore)! Yet we have no open carry of any kind, except for knives. Any fixed blade knives must be openly carried. folding knives can be worn concealed. Even thats a gray area...The whole blade length limit is hardly explained or enforced.

I think it all depends on how cool and/or busy the cops are, or how suspicious you look. I mean really just pissing off the wrong people when it comes to doing anything, or nothing, will get you screwed. Or maybe I read the news too much lol.

I can see the there being an eventual plateau when it comes to cold. Its like that w/ the heat here...after triple digits, it doesnt matter anymore. 105 is the same as 112....and after a few days of that 92 feels downright cool! The 12% humidity at least helps swamp coolers and misters work really well

Yea sounds like your screwed w/ the mosquitos....it get bone dry dusty here and yet any slight wet patch will breed em....bastards

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
After the winter, the techs will leave the 14' shop door open on the first 50 degree day. When you bring a vehicle inside that's been sitting in sub zero weather the cold radiates off it in waves. As partial compensation for enduring the cold- no mosquitoes in winter.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
After the winter, the techs will leave the 14' shop door open on the first 50 degree day. When you bring a vehicle inside that's been sitting in sub zero weather the cold radiates off it in waves. As partial compensation for enduring the cold- no mosquitoes in winter.
Its 6pm and 96 F outside right now...and my house is on the west downslope of a moutain, so the sun sets about 2' away. A 50 degree day is quite brisk here, I'd probly run a propane heater in that temp lol.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The worst thing about dealing with sub zero and snow in the winter is the high 90's and humid we get in the summer. I'm happiest with our weather in September but I don't want to live anywhere else. A friend comes over in early spring/late winter, taps my Maple trees and runs sap lines to a gathering tank. He does all the work and brings me about 3 gallons of syrup and $50 at the end of the season. There's a house just up the road that's been in the family since before the Civil war, my grandmother was born there. When I was a kid my grandfather's cows pastured where I built my house. There's a barn just down the hill he built using timber that blew down on this land during the 38 hurricane, it was started in late 39 and he finished it while his sons were away at war.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
The worst thing about dealing with sub zero and snow in the winter is the high 90's and humid we get in the summer. I'm happiest with our weather in September but I don't want to live anywhere else. A friend comes over in early spring/late winter, taps my Maple trees and runs sap lines to a gathering tank. He does all the work and brings me about 3 gallons of syrup and $50 at the end of the season. There's a house just up the road that's been in the family since before the Civil war, my grandmother was born there. When I was a kid my grandfather's cows pastured where I built my house. There's a barn just down the hill he built using timber that blew down on this land during the 38 hurricane, it was started in late 39 and he finished it while his sons were away at war.
nice to have some history like that...My family grew up in real estate, so were constantly buying, moving, fixing, renting, selling, repeat...The house I spent my high school years in was torn down and replaced with a gaudy Mcmansion Im sure all neighbors love.

I think another PITA would be dealing with the frost line when burying posts and whatnot.

Here the sun is the game changer....50 degrees in mid day sun is nice, but same temp at 3am is cold! Same w/ the heat....100 degress is tolerable in the some shade and breeze, or early in am. but under afternoon sun in still air makes it roasting miserable quick!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
The ground freezing requires some differences when building- like 4 foot frost walls under a slab to prevent heaving and cracking, burying water lines below 4 feet, stuff like that. The foundation under my house is 8 ft deep and that allows for a big basement workshop and a lot of storage space. In the spring my road turns into sloppy mud until the frost comes out of the ground to let the water be absorbed.50 isn't cold, cold is when your nose hairs freeze.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
The ground freezing requires some differences when building- like 4 foot frost walls under a slab to prevent heaving and cracking, burying water lines below 4 feet, stuff like that. The foundation under my house is 8 ft deep and that allows for a big basement workshop and a lot of storage space. In the spring my road turns into sloppy mud until the frost comes out of the ground to let the water be absorbed.50 isn't cold, cold is when your nose hairs freeze.

and that's a bit lower than squeeky snow

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
yea no thanks...a few feet deep and a bag or 2 of 'crete is all I need to sink a post solid. We have a few months in the winter where we can drive about an hr into the mtns to see snow, Im at 1400 ft, but it gets steep quick. We have to drive to see snow lol, its an event of sorts, you will see cars pulled over on the highway looking for a patch to sled on. And we will actually shovel snow onto our cars to bring home snow lol. Dont get me started on permits...You need a permit to make a spitoon, and it will cost not only plenty of money, but lots of time waitng in line....

How do u breathe through frozen nosehairs?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
How do u breathe through frozen nosehairs?
You breathe between the frozen nose hairs. Unless you had a runny nose before it all froze. Then you don't breathe through your nose.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
You breathe between the frozen nose hairs. Unless you had a runny nose before it all froze. Then you don't breathe through your nose.
Idk maybe to each their own but Id rather deal w/ year round butt sweat. My nose runs. And my mouth smokes.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice Ranger, I just think they're too damn big now. It's no longer a small truck, more like my old 04 F-150 size wise.

That's a good name for CA. I left that messed up place in 02. Lived there 26 years. Now live in Oklahoma. Tinting windows, LEGAL (even the police cars have tinted windows). Smog checks, NONE. Vehicle inspections, NONE. Front license plates, NONE. Change your lights to what ever you desire, GO FOR IT. Run tinted license covers on all my vehicles, NO PROBLEM. Carry a gun, NO PERMIT NEEDED, Carry a knife, ANY KIND YOU DESIRE. Registration for my 04 Lightning, $27 a year. My 07 Mustang, $40 a year. My 98 Ranger, less than $20.00. I'm glad I left.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Nice Ranger, I just think they're too damn big now. It's no longer a small truck, more like my old 04 F-150 size wise.

That's a good name for CA. I left that messed up place in 02. Lived there 26 years. Now live in Oklahoma. Tinting windows, LEGAL (even the police cars have tinted windows). Smog checks, NONE. Vehicle inspections, NONE. Front license plates, NONE. Change your lights to what ever you desire, GO FOR IT. Run tinted license covers on all my vehicles, NO PROBLEM. Carry a gun, NO PERMIT NEEDED, Carry a knife, ANY KIND YOU DESIRE. Registration for my 04 Lightning, $27 a year. My 07 Mustang, $40 a year. My 98 Ranger, less than $20.00. I'm glad I left.
Sold!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals