• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Greetings from South Kalifornikstan

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have had my Ranger for about 6 weeks. Love it! I had a 2007 XLT 4x4 SuperCab 2007/2011 and loved it as well. This time around I did not need 4WD since I no longer live in South Lake Tahoe and any offroading I do is fire roads and decent trails. I was set on buying a Tacoma. Nice truck. Even had the deal worked out. Went and test drove a new Ranger just for the heck of it. There literally is no comparison.

I have a Rough Country 2.5" Level, NFab Steps (my wife is disabled and needs them. Otherwise I prefer no steps), Husky Mud Guards, Putco Lower Grill Insert (at least a little protection for the intercooler), and 30% Ceramic tint on the front windows. The FPP Performance Tune Kit was ordered early last week and is expected later in the month..

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Hey greetings, sweet ranger! Please do share the tune results after. Where in S.K. are you? I am in the San Fernando Valley of the Northern Mexico region (far southern part of S.K.)...born and raised...about 1-2 hrs from various awesome wheeling spots. The traffic sucks, but life could be worse...

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey greetings, sweet ranger! Please do share the tune results after. Where in S.K. are you? I am in the San Fernando Valley of the Northern Mexico region (far southern part of S.K.)...born and raised...about 1-2 hrs from various awesome wheeling spots. The traffic sucks, but life could be worse...
Hey man! Thank you. I live east of Hemet. Right at the bottom of Mt San Jacinto. Although I have lived in several States and places I am a native as well. Born and raised.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Awesome, dang thats way south, especially from Tahoe....Lots of nice spots around there though. I did the soboba invitational moto trail ride back in the days (it was brutal). Ever go to Gorman? Its a bit north but they got a pretty cool man made 4x4 playground thats been there forever.

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome, dang thats way south, especially from Tahoe....Lots of nice spots around there though. I did the soboba invitational moto trail ride back in the days (it was brutal). Ever go to Gorman? Its a bit north but they got a pretty cool man made 4x4 playground thats been there forever.
I live less than two miles from the Soboba Indian Reservation. It is right across the San Jacinto River (dry) from us. Back in the 70's they had a motorcycle off road race. The Soboba Grand Prix. I raced it twice. It certainly was a tough race! They have two or three big Sand Drag events annually over there now. I have heard of Gorman and the off roading but have never been there.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Its weird terrain there on the res, like a hard crust that once broken through, becomes quicksand....I remember seat deep ruts, and mud pits full of stuck bikes like dinos in tar pits!
I grew up riding Gorman, its always been a little regulated, especially nowadays, but the trade of is it well set up. they super enforce the red sticker season, exhaust sound limits, spark arrestors etc, and the trails are marked w/ dificulty level and what your allowed to drive/ride on them. Its a pretty good mix of natural and man made terrain, and not bad with the amenities either (covered picnic tables, campsites, crappers and dumpsters galore). Def worth a day trip or overniter...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Kalifornikstan is a new one for me, living here in Cow Hampshire-next door to the peoples' republic of Vt. Truck looks good, the steps don't hurt it. I put the old diamond plate running boards on my F150 years ago after watching my wife climb into it, fearing I'd find her on the concrete garage floor if I didn't.

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Kalifornikstan is a new one for me, living here in Cow Hampshire-next door to the peoples' republic of Vt. Truck looks good, the steps don't hurt it. I put the old diamond plate running boards on my F150 years ago after watching my wife climb into it, fearing I'd find her on the concrete garage floor if I didn't.
Thank you Sir. My wife is 5’2” and has had two major spine surgeries. The truck is a bit tall for her and she loves having that step. I am 6’1” but I would LOVE to have an A pillar handle like the passenger side. One of the very few complaints I could list for the truck. Bet Ford saved $3 or $4 bucks by not giving me a handle. 🤠

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I once did a search for gun,pot, tax and car friendly states, figuring that would define the most free state...and read a result that Vermont is the most "leave me the eff alone" State...but peoples republic you say? perhaps I was misled? please elaborate.

Also I heard N.H. is pretty "do whatever you want as long as its on your land" kind of state too...whats it like?

I been stuck in Los Angeles area my whole life....

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
I've never lived anywhere but NH so I don't really have a point of reference to tell you what it's like because it's all I've ever known. When I built my house in 1988 I had to have the road agent look at where the driveway was going to be so he could decide if I needed to put in a culvert. I didn't need one, there was no such thing as a building permit, the only approval was from the state for the septic design. A few years ago my town started doing building permits but they aren't restrictive, it gives the selectmen a heads up so they can arrange a tax assessor visit. I'm certain most houses on the road(it ain't a street if it's dirt) have guns in them, in the fall it's common to hear gunfire as folks get their rifles sighted in for deer hunting. We used to have to get a concealed carry permit but that's been eliminated, it's always been legal to carry a gun in plain sight. Compared to the national news, we have practically no crime. We do have dwi/dui- you can stop at a convenience store, gas up your car and buy a single cold beer if you want. What would anyone do with a single cold beer, bring it home for later? NH has state liquor stores strategically placed at rest areas near our borders to help citizens of our neighboring states with sales taxes save some money. The "Live free or die" motto on our license plates is a quote from general John Stark after the battle of Bennington, my mother's family name was Stark, as is the road I live on. Vt has both sales and income taxes along with property taxes nearly as high as ours. I'll get in trouble for saying it but a lot of liberal hippies moved to Vt in the 60's and 70's so the state has leaned more to the left but Vt and NH are honestly more alike than we're willing to admit. Southern California's weather is better but our ground doesn't move much and we have no traffic as you'd describe it. Mud season usually lasts 3 weeks or so in March, right now we have swarms of black flies and the mosquitoes are waking up. Last winter we didn't even hit 20 below, we used to see 30-35 below every winter and I've seen 40 below several times. If you'll take the black flies I'll happily keep the rest.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
Does the thumbs up mean you agree to take the black flies?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Does the thumbs up mean you agree to take the black flies?
Lol Oh I read that backwards and thought U keep the flies and I get the rest :D

Naw actually the thumbs up was for everything else but the flies (and mosquitos).

California used to be awesome too, before it turned super blue...the hippies gave birth to hipsters.

Which has caused major gentrification and skyrocket prices in crappy neighborhoods. They prefer paying exorbitant rents for an "authentic" ghetto urban living experience, like its a status thing or something (highland park and eagle rock are becoming the next silverlake). They also will drink expensive liquor and cheap beer (usually pabst).

The mosquitos and flies get pretty bad here too...I have citronella and various types of lavender planted in pots around the outdoor hangout area, They seem to really help deter the bugs. Flies and mosquitos suck at flying in any slight breeze, so a few oscillating fans in the area also helps keep it clear.

Citronella candles dont do jack!

Gun laws are super strict, just getting to the shooting range (or desert) and back can be nerve racking.

Everything requires a permit and/or fees

yes we do have the weather. +12 degrees F is the coldest I ever been in. Cant imagine 30 below I would need a space suit! Summer gets hot though, usually at least a month of 95+degree days, not consecutive, but there are sometimes consecutive 110+ days.

Ill wait a few more years until that 20 below gets to 10 above lol

Ace Holliday

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
........Everything requires a permit and/or fees.
We have BLM land that is open for shooting. It's does not cost anything. Bee Canyon is 6 miles from my house and Berdoo Canyon is a little over an hour drive. Bee Canyon is closed during high fire hazard conditions though. So far it's open. Was there yesterday.
I am a competitive shooter and compete in one or two matches per month. Well, not so much since the middle of March. But things are starting to get back to normal a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals