• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Green coolant in 03 ranger

tatermatt90

Reaction score
when i got this truck it had coolant leaks. there was no coolant in the reservoir. i topped it off with green coolant thinking that was the standard type and Ive always heard about it. now i looked in the manual and see the truck calls for motorcraft gold coolant. googling did not help with my question because there is so much confusion on coolants and opinions that differ. im about to change the upper radiator hose and who knows what coolant the original owner had in it. Lets assume they had the yellow/gold coolant in there, is it okay to top off with the conventional green coolant? both ethylene glycol mix. not the dexcool

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I really don't like mixing coolants, you can run green antifreeze and it won't hurt BUT run all green. Since you are doing the upper radiator hose anyway I would just drain the system and refill it. Just pick one fluid and stick with it.

In all likelyhood it probably won't hurt anything if you leave the mix in there, most modern green antifreezes are fairly compatible with most other coolants. But for another $20 bucks or so in coolant its just easier to be safe than sorry.

tatermatt90

Reaction score
I really don't like mixing coolants, you can run green antifreeze and it won't hurt BUT run all green. Since you are doing the upper radiator hose anyway I would just drain the system and refill it. Just pick one fluid and stick with it.

In all likelyhood it probably won't hurt anything if you leave the mix in there, most modern green antifreezes are fairly compatible with most other coolants. But for another $20 bucks or so in coolant its just easier to be safe than sorry.
okay ill go ahead and drain it all. how would you drain it to make sure its all out of there

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just pull the radiator petcock out to drain it, flush it with a garden hose for a bit get any leftover coolant out of the block and then fill her up.

tatermatt90

Reaction score
what is the equivelant of motorcraft premium gold that i might find at walmart cheap

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Valvoline Zerex g-05

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Just fill it with regular ole extended life green then. It'll work just as good it just has slightly shorter lifespan than gold. You can put whatever you want in it with the exception of dexcool. Mixing is the only issue.

tatermatt90

Reaction score
I emptied the coolant and then filled the coolant tank with water and let it drain. How can I be sure the coolant is out of the heater hoses

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I emptied the coolant and then filled the coolant tank with water and let it drain. How can I be sure the coolant is out of the heater hoses
Take them both off and blow through one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals