• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GPS wiring

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I really like my window mounted GARMIN GPS but have hated having to plug/unplug the danged thing every time I drive the truck.

I was determined to power the GPS off the radio circuit but feared I'd have to drill a hole through the dash to feed the GPS cable. That's when I found I could route the GPS cable down the left side of the dash and feed it under the dash behind the fuse panel.

My intent was to plug the GPS cable with a male cigarette lighter type connector into a female cigarette lighter type connector with power and ground leads. These large connectors would be secured under the dash.

For the power lead, I inserted an Add-a-Fuse into the radio circuit fuse 20.

Searching around for a convenient ground, I found that the dash mounting bolts are grounded. Hence I added a ring connector under one of these bolts.

Now with the GPS powering on/off via the key switch I discovered that the dash side fuse panel cover would not close properly over the Add-a-Fuse! However, I found that the lid off an Ensure bottle and a 1-3/4" conduit punch would conveniently fix this problem.

The modified and installed fuse box cover:

I suppose I could paint the bottle cover to match but I'll save that for yet another day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals