• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got this from my corporate security team today

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Normally I don’t bother with this stuff, but this is a really bad dog. Easy to get, nearly impossible to get rid of. Be very careful with links in emails. Hover your mouse over the link to see if it resembles where it claims to be from before clicking. This is bad. It’s format and reinstall bad.

"Careto" is the name of "a sophisticated suite of tools for compromising computers and collecting a wealth of information from them," reports The Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/10/this-malware-is-frighteningly-sophisticated-and-we-dont-know-who-created-it/
Here's how it works.
It sends out emails designed to look as though they were sent legitimately from news sources like The Guardian and others. A population of people end up clicking on a link that takes them to a shady site that scans their computer for vulnerabilities. It works against Windows, OS X and Linux systems, and there may be iOS and Android versions on the way.
Once infected, a computer surrenders pretty much any info the malware wants. It can collect "network traffic, keystrokes, Skype conversations, analyze Wi-Fi traffic, PGP keys, fetch all information from Nokia devices, screen captures and monitor all file operations."
And lest you need a reminder, no one knows where it came from.
If you want to dig into the nitty-gritty of it all, Kaspersky Labs released this extensive report on Careto that gets into a lot of the scarier technical details.
http://www.securelist.com/en/downloads/vlpdfs/unveilingthemask_v1.0.pdf

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
There's been several bad ones in recent years and really it's nothing new. I work in IT and honestly most if not all bad infections like this require user interaction to get going.

The best security in the world won't help when people just click ok without reading or questioning. That's like shady people coming to your door and saying sure come on in no problem.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's been several bad ones in recent years and really it's nothing new. I work in IT and honestly most if not all bad infections like this require user interaction to get going.

The best security in the world won't help when people just click ok without reading or questioning. That's like shady people coming to your door and saying sure come on in no problem.

exactly:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals