• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got the wife something better...

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Well the Buick was a nice vehicle but she wanted to get another SUV. So we picked up a 2002 Explorer XLT 4WD. Nice and clean and low mileage. No fog lights which is a bummer, and the wiring is not there either. I notice that there are lights under the mirrors and the dr. side is burned out. The radio is AM/FM/Cassette/CD which I find odd but 90s vehicles had that. It has auto shift 4WD/4HI/4LO but no 2WD. 4.0L and 4sp automatic and drives really nice.

IMG_2338.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like a good buy

You will want to put in the 2 new timing chain tensioners, use Motorcraft only
Unless there is paper work of them being done already, they need to be changed every 100k miles after that

It will have 5-speed auto software in a 2002, so a 5R55S automatic, these didn't have a dipstick..............
If should have a 2nd trans cooler, check that it does, if not add one

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Good to know @RonD Thank you. I'll have to look at the carfax. there was a big maintenance done at 100k then again at 125k so the tensioners may have been done. They look simple, at least the front one, to do. There is a small 2"wide x 10-12" long cooler, it looks like one of the old P/S coolers on a Lincoln, below the radiator on the crossmember.

So how do you check the fluid level on the trans or add fluid to it?

I guessed it was a 4sp because of the PRDL was PRD321 and an on/off switch for the O/D on the shift lever.

The Explorer Brown Wire Mod, will this save on gas mileage or just disable the traction control?

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
For your 2002 V6~4.0L~SOHC,
I'd NOT assume the 2 OilPressurized TimingTensioners have been changed unless your records note them specificly;
actually the right rear tensioner is easier to change than the left front.
Also consider replacing the junk Plastic ThermoStat Housing with an Aluminum ThermoStat Housing
before it leaks, overheats your engine & leaves you stranded.
ThermoStat Housing & left front Tensioner are next to each other; if changing one, it's a good time to change the other.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Good to know @RonD Thank you. I'll have to look at the carfax. there was a big maintenance done at 100k then again at 125k so the tensioners may have been done. They look simple, at least the front one, to do. There is a small 2"wide x 10-12" long cooler, it looks like one of the old P/S coolers on a Lincoln, below the radiator on the crossmember.

I guessed it was a 4sp because of the PRDL was PRD321 and an on/off switch for the O/D on the shift lever.

The Explorer Brown Wire Mod, will this save on gas mileage or just disable the traction control?
The BWM isn’t to disable the traction control. It for the AWD.
Basically, you put an inline switch in the brown wire that engages the AWD. With that signal shut down, it’s always in 2wd. You should get a little better mileage.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
This site is awesome. I never knew of any of this stuff. Always good info and I appreciate it.

You guys are awesome! Thank you.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It might be a P/S cooler on an Explorer, when you are under there have a look at what its connected to

5R55S has a pipe "level" drain plug in bottom of pan

Trans fluid needs to be warmed up, at least to 120deg, and engine idling to check fluid level
There is a center screw on the drain plug that you remove, if fluid slowly comes out its full, put screw back in
If no fluid or not much then you will need to add some
There is literally just a tube sticking up from the drain plug, if level is low the fluid is below to top of tube so none comes out, if it at or just a bit higher than end of tube some fluid comes out

Google: Checking and Adding ATF to Ford Trans Without Dipstick
There is a 2:37 video

Its a messy business, I preferred the dipstick, lol

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It might be a P/S cooler on an Explorer, when you are under there have a look at what its connected to

5R55S has a pipe "level" drain plug in bottom of pan

Trans fluid needs to be warmed up, at least to 120deg, and engine idling to check fluid level
There is a center screw on the drain plug that you remove, if fluid slowly comes out its full, put screw back in
If no fluid or not much then you will need to add some
There is literally just a tube sticking up from the drain plug, if level is low the fluid is below to top of tube so none comes out, if it at or just a bit higher than end of tube some fluid comes out

Google: Checking and Adding ATF to Ford Trans Without Dipstick
There is a 2:37 video

Its a messy business, I preferred the dipstick, lol
Engineers is smart...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Too smart

The whole "living in a cave" thing and having BBQ every night sometimes looks better than "the real world" I live in now
But I am partial to indoor plumbing and warm water showers so................it only sometimes looks better

And the lives a working TPMS system saves probably shouldn't have been driving in the first place, although they are out there and always seem to manage to get in front of me

And I like vegetarians, good eatin' nothing like a good grain fed vegetarian on the BBQ, slow cooking
And no that's not cannibalism, humans are not vegetarians, duh, we eat meat, so NOT cannibalism, human eating human

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)

I believe that cooler under the radiator is actually an engine oil cooler. Power steering cooler is just a metal line that makes 1 loop across in front of the lower side of the radiator. Then there's also a transmission cooler which is more of a square cooler off to the side usually...might just be on the V8 Explorers though which is what my 08 Explorer is, and it has coolers for everything it seems like, as well as what looks to be an electrically engaged fan clutch.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I've had my 2008 Explorer for about 7 months now, its the model design newer than yours. So far I love mine, 128k on it, does need new tires probably before winter though but other than a few minor scratches its in great condition inside and out. The 4L V6 was a good engine if its kept maintained of course like any vehicle, they just seemed to be thirsty...yeah says the guy who got an Explorer with the V8 LOL....anyhow I don't mind the lower fuel economy with the V8 I do a lot of driving in town with it so fuel economy in any vehicle in slow/stop and go traffic sucks anyhow LOL...I bought it to enjoy it and be comfortable and better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee it replaced....so far so good...didn't take much to be better than the Jeep HAHA!!! Although I think even the early 2000's Explorers were larger than the 90's models the 4L V6 that was in my parent's 95 Explorer seemed to have plenty of power, never tried towing with it as it didn't have the tow package, but I don't think it would have had any trouble doing light duty towing tasks.

I also have the predecessor to the Explorer....the Bronco 2...the Explorer is night and day difference in ride quality, its larger and a bit heavier so you don't feel every grain of sand on the road like you do with the Bronco 2 HAHA!!!

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

I see the Expo, the Ranger, and what seems to be a Mazda RX-7. Where is the D21? are you out of Nissans?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals