• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got pulled over for not using my turn signal

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The definition of a police state is a government that has so many laws that at any given time you are doing something illegal.
And PA has plenty of sleeper laws on the books if they really want to get you with something. There are some from the horse and buggy days that have never been repealed if they REALLY want to get nit picky.

Like we are supposed to stop at every intersection and do a litany of things before we proceed in order to not scare the horses.

Others, I think are more blanket laws if they can’t find anything else. Like anything in your vehicle that didn’t come with it from the factory or dealership when sold.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
And PA has plenty of sleeper laws on the books if they really want to get you with something. There are some from the horse and buggy days that have never been repealed if they REALLY want to get nit picky.
It's illegal to sell a rope to a Irishman on a cloudy day. Clearly racist.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I was working on a 79 Mustang this summer that hadn't been driven since 2014. After I went through it I was driving it to tweak the adjustments and pulled over to advance the timing a little. Our police chief pulled up in his cruiser to see if I needed help and then asked me a bunch of questions about the car before driving away. The 2014 sticker was still on the windshield by the mirror, they've been in the lower left corner for years and look entirely different. I don't mind police stops for no turn signals or reckless driving, I'd like to see them stop cars for following too close and for passing on the right like they used to. I think cars with fart mufflers should be ticketed for sounding like cow flatulence but a throaty V8 is music to me.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Most of my driving is in LAPD jurisdiction, which is cool because you would have to do something really stupid, or look very suspicious, to get pulled over by them. They have plenty of actual crime to deal with, a lot of yahoos around here.

There are also Sheriffs, steer clear of them.

The CHP is mostly cool too, usual freeway speed limit is 65mph, but mostly 80+ mph is speeding ticket worthy to them.

Burbank has their own PD, and is a well to do conservative town with many bored cops. It is one of those towns where if you drivers license does not show a Burbank address, you are suspect.

I drive Low key stock vehicles anyways. If I build or buy anything fast, it will be a sleeper.

The last time I got pulled over was in my ranger, and he just wanted to tell me my 3rd brake light was out. My reply was why none of my idiot friends or co workers could tell me this, I had to get pulled over and told by a cop to find out. He chuckled and went on his way.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've gotten puled over twice this year for speeding, once in the Ranger (49 in a 35), once on my B-King (35 in a 25). Both times got a slap on the wrist. What works for me it to just treat the guy, or gal, like a human. Don't try to weasle out of it by saying "Honest, my speedometer told me I was legal". Both times, guy asked if I knew why he stopped me, and I said, "yeah, I was going a bit on the fast side." Both times, the cop blinked, and had a momentary WTF look on his face. The one on the bike, we actually sat around for a bit and talked motorcycles, he rides. Both times, "slow down and take it easy." Not word for word, but you get the meaning. No ticket. Maybe my being 60 years old and still riding crotch rockets helps? LOL!!

Attachments

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
We've been pulled over at the same time in Kentucky. LOL.

The Deputy said he wanted to make sure I was OK. WTF??

This stop would have made more sense late at night when cops are looking for drunks.

Ahhh yes.....good times and memories...

Glad you were there.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
I once got a $300 speeding ticket in Trinity County for going 57 in a 55 zone which was interesting because I was stuck between 2 cars on a 2 lane road and couldn't go any faster or slower
You should have contested this one. The accuracy of the speed monitoring system is +\-10%, so a ticket for speeding at 57mph needs to have been observed and checked in posted white sign 50mph zone or I will not hold up in court.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i got pulled over for being white in south texas. i was in a line of cars doing about 75 on the highway heading towards the rio grand valley. we were just south of Kingsville. i am about the third or fourth car in a line of 7-10 cars. this cop car goes by the whole line fast and then slows down and gets behind me and hits the lights. i pull over and he says i am speeding. i tell him what about the other 10 cars around me, how did he pick me out. he said i looked like i didn't belong driving the car i was in (i was taking my mom's Toyota camry to her). we went back and forth a bit because i told him it was a bunch of crap what he did and he said tough and i said some more stuff. the court date came up and the attorney the state set up for me tells me i am going to lose, after i tell him what happened and how the guy picked me out because i was white and the cop was a racist ass.

sure enough, it was the police chief who pulled me over.

so we go before the judge and he is in there joking with her and the other people in the room. she asks about what happened and i tell her how he picked me out for being white and everyone else in the line were Hispanic, like him. she asked how i knew and i said because i was by myself on the road and group of cars was going faster and passed me so i sped up and got in their line to get to the valley faster. she asked if i knew he was the chief? i said no, i don't know how he is but we can keep climbing the ladder to make a complaint if i need to.

she talked to me for a while and finally just charged me the court fee of like 25 bucks because i came in and talked properly and didn't lie about anything.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
You should have contested this one. The accuracy of the speed monitoring system is +\-10%, so a ticket for speeding at 57mph needs to have been observed and checked in posted white sign 50mph zone or I will not hold up in court.
In Pennsylvania I learned that the traffic law states "To be enforceable, speed limits must be posted on a fixed or movable device placed at a distance not greater than one-half mile apart." I got a ticket greatly reduced once because the signs were 2.5 miles apart.
The magistrate wouldn't let me off totally because it would have amounted to a permanent get out of jail free card on that stretch of road since none of the signs are anywhere near what the code says. I-376 Toll between PA Rt. 51 and I-80. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yeah, I don’t think there is many state roads that meet that posting requirement.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The canyon road near my house is maybe a 2.5 mile stretch between two main city streets and freeway ramps. The speed limit changes 4 times, going from 50mph to 45mph to 35mph, which is 25mph when the school zone lights flash. Its speed trap heaven lol.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
man, that sucks

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
man, that sucks
It's Burbank CA. CA itself is just one big speed trap. Moved out of that hellhole in 2002 and freaking glad I did. I'm in Oklahoma now, and get more verbal warnings than I do tickets. Two this year, one last year. The amount of verbal warnings I've gotten since moving here in 2002, is unknowable.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The canyon road near my house is maybe a 2.5 mile stretch between two main city streets and freeway ramps. The speed limit changes 4 times, going from 50mph to 45mph to 35mph, which is 25mph when the school zone lights flash. Its speed trap heaven lol.
West Virginia had a lot of roads like that. Minus the speed trap part. I’ve not seen many police in my travels through there but I did have one follow me for miles. I think he was waiting me be to make a mistake.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
West Virginia had a lot of roads like that. Minus the speed trap part. I’ve not seen many police in my travels through there but I did have one follow me for miles. I think he was waiting me be to make a mistake.
Summersville on Rt. 19. How we in western PA get to parts south like Charlotte and Florida. Even AAA will tell you "This is a speed trap".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals