• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got new battery, starter just clicks.

pobrejuanito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,

I have a '85 Ranger 2WD. The starter "clicked" when I turned the key. I tried to jump it but I heard consecutive zapping sounds. I took the battery in to test and the guys said the battery is dead. It was from '11/08. I got a new battery, installed it and it started right away. After few days later, I tried to start it after an oil change, the starter just clicks now. I check the volts and it is 12.58V. There is no amp draw I don't think.

What do you guys think it is? Bad starter?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
bad cable connection somewhere. Start with the connections at the battery and go from there.

4 bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
could be bad connection, solenoid or starter.

check all connections if good i would start with the $12 solenoid mounted near the battery this is a notorious ford issue. if its not a connection issue or the solenoid your starter is bad. ( dont forget to check ground wires not just the positive wires)

easy way to check the solenoid is to make it just "click" leave the key on and cross the 2 main wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver (the sparks wont hurt you so dont jump :p) if it starts the solenoid is your issue

pobrejuanito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll try to replace the solenoid tomorrow night and report back

I tightened secure all connections but no go. I'll try to replace the solenoid and post back tomorrow night.

Thanks for the advice.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Guys,

I have a '85 Ranger 2WD. The starter "clicked" when I turned the key. I tried to jump it but I heard consecutive zapping sounds. I took the battery in to test and the guys said the battery is dead. It was from '11/08. I got a new battery, installed it and it started right away. After few days later, I tried to start it after an oil change, the starter just clicks now. I check the volts and it is 12.58V. There is no amp draw I don't think.

What do you guys think it is? Bad starter?
New battery should be above 12.7vDC, closer to 13vDC
When batteries get below 12.5vDC after engine has been running, it is on it's last leg.

Your alternator is not charging the battery enough, or wiring is bad.
With engine running battery voltage should show 13.8vDC, that is the alternator's voltage to keep battery charged.
If voltage with engine running shows 13.4vDC or less then alternator needs to be replaced.

I would jump it and it should start, but starter and solenoid could have been effected by the alternator and older battery issues.
When amps are low because of battery being low the starter and solenoid seem to heat up a bit more and since they are older they can end up having problems.
Like a domino effect.

But I would definitely have the alternator checked.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Pretty much what Ron said. Also, FWIW, since I started using the dielectric grease on the terminals, I've noticed I have had a lot better luck with connections.

pobrejuanito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Replace Solenoid

Hey Guys,

I replaced the starter solenoid and the truck started right up! I checked the voltage with the engine running and it's about 14.5V, so I guess the alternator is working. The battery cables don't look good so I may replace it.

Thank you for your help.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Hey Guys,

I replaced the starter solenoid and the truck started right up! I checked the voltage with the engine running and it's about 14.5V, so I guess the alternator is working. The battery cables don't look good so I may replace it.

Thank you for your help.
'85 with original battery cables....change the positive cable & both negative cables(the negative cable may be a 2-piece cable....they can corrode on the inside & you won't be able to see it)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals