• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got myself a Henry lever action .22 rifle

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I guess you understand that even when defending your home bigger is better, faster is better. I see that in an home invasion shotguns are pretty much King, but 30,000 22 long rifles are just foolish. If I had to shoot at a living human being, he will die by my first shot and not by several little plinkers. I am not one who sits around worrying about who is after me. I'm blessed to have lived, my entire life, where a locked door is not necessary though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess you understand that even when defending your home bigger is better, faster is better. I see that in an home invasion shotguns are pretty much King, but 30,000 22 long rifles are just foolish. If I had to shoot at a living human being, he will die by my first shot and not by several little plinkers. I am not one who sits around worrying about who is after me. I'm blessed to have lived, my entire life, where a locked door is not necessary though.
A .22 would do the job just as well if he did his part.

I like the shotgun because close really is good enough. I am not scared of the boogy man either, it is just my 20ga smoothbore slug gun for deer hunting.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I see your point there. To my original statement, I cannot believe 30,000+ rounds of 22's was purchased for any single home invasion. This friend is counting on an all out war. I wouldn't want to depend on 22's for that purpose. He's a large scale hog farmer and assumes he'll be needing to protect his hams. I love to shoot and no longer hunt so I shoot at a range w/ the largest being a 100 yarder. I love open sights and this suits me fine as I now wear bifocals. Getting older scales you back, believe me. I like my lever guns and revolvers. 22, 357/38 & 30-30 is all I shoot. I go w/ the wife and she loves it. As far as being able to purchase any 22 ammo, I can get all I want, but mainly see target loads. I haven't seen any CCI Stinger LR / 1640 FPS loads in probably a year. Just recently bought 1000 rnds of Remington Goldens, 1280 FPS. 22's go quick w/ 2 people shooting.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, 30k is a little bonkers...

It is all moot for him because if things go south he will only be fighting buzzards when the power goes out (HVAC goes down) and he runs out of feed.

It wouldn't really matter what he had either, if people want them he is severly outnumbered.

I haven't seen .22 (S, L or LR) of any kind on a shelf for over a year. .22 mag is as close as it gets.

I like levers and wheelguns too... if they were not either really high priced and good or high priced and junk I would love to expand my collection.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Had a conversation w/ the friend and his 30,000 rounds of .22's. His opinion; ammo may become money in the event of a crisis. I guess that could be the case,IDK.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Sadly still no ammo. I've been itching to do some target practice with my rifle. :bawling:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Good news, I got a box of 100 rounds in a .22 short (better than nothing). I shot a few and let me tell you that rifle is smooth I almost got a rabbit on my first shot. Will be waiting for L.R. but this will do.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
that's good to hear. I just got home from the local outside gun range w/ the wife. Her 85 yr old father just gave her a 1958 model 94 30-30 Winchester. The gun had only 12 rounds through it until today. We shot it on the 25 yd range since it was her 1st time w/ the 30 caliber and open sights. The wife did real good bud did say it hurt her shoulder. I don't want to tell my father in law that my 1951 Marlin 30-30 is a better gun, IMO. Loads easier and I like it's weight much better. A slightly heavier gun. We also shot 50 round through my 1957 Marlin Mountie 22 cal. The wife likes that gun much better than the 30. On the ammo side, looks like 22's have dried up around here now. I don't know if it's temporary or what. I'll keep an eye out. Other than 22, there was plenty of all other loads. The cowboy stuff is usually out but, I saw .44, .45 LC and plenty of .38 /.357. I hope you can find some more 22's, hopefully varmint loads.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's good to hear. I just got home from the local outside gun range w/ the wife. Her 85 yr old father just gave her a 1958 model 94 30-30 Winchester. The gun had only 12 rounds through it until today. We shot it on the 25 yd range since it was her 1st time w/ the 30 caliber and open sights. The wife did real good bud did say it hurt her shoulder. I don't want to tell my father in law that my 1951 Marlin 30-30 is a better gun, IMO. Loads easier and I like it's weight much better. A slightly heavier gun. We also shot 50 round through my 1957 Marlin Mountie 22 cal. The wife likes that gun much better than the 30. On the ammo side, looks like 22's have dried up around here now. I don't know if it's temporary or what. I'll keep an eye out. Other than 22, there was plenty of all other loads. The cowboy stuff is usually out but, I saw .44, .45 LC and plenty of .38 /.357. I hope you can find some more 22's, hopefully varmint loads.
It is funny how that works out, I like the straight stock, slimmer feel and lighter weight of the Winchester over the Marlin.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Both my 22 and 30-30 Marlin's have the straight stock. I prefer them as well, mostly cosmetic for me. All 22 Marlin Mounties have straight stocks and my 1952 30-30 has a rare straight stock. They called them Texans. I do have a Marlin lever action 410 that has the pistol grip stock. Way too heavy for a 410. The lighter weight of the Winchester is definitely a draw but the action on the Winchester seemed less forgiving. I felt like I needed to slam the lever open to get a good eject and reload into the chamber. I guess it could be the fact that my Winchester is basically a brand new 1958 model yr gun. I'd say the Winchester had just the slightest more kick. Neither gun has rubber on the stocks. That stuff is for newbies.

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Here is a pix of the guns we're talking about. Top is the Marlin 410, #2 Marlin Mountie .22, #3 Marlin 30-30 Texan and #4 Winchester 30-30. I agree w/ liking the straight stocks. The 410 is only available from Cabela's and limited production. I believe it's basically a .45 w/ a shotgun bbl. Too heavy for a 410.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here is a pix of the guns we're talking about. Top is the Marlin 410, #2 Marlin Mountie .22, #3 Marlin 30-30 Texan and #4 Winchester 30-30. I agree w/ liking the straight stocks. The 410 is only available from Cabela's and limited production. I believe it's basically a .45 w/ a shotgun bbl. Too heavy for a 410.
That is a nice collection you have there. I knew they made a few straight stock ones and you can mix and match with a '94 to make your own but most Marlins are the pistol grip style.

I had a 336C for a little while, it was a POS from when Remington was trying to figure out how to make them in NY in the dark while wearing oven mitts.

I sent it back once for them to fix and the second time I got a check.

The Henry 30-30's look really sharp aside from loading in the tube... they are really proud of them though. The Mossbergs are pretty sharp too.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
The way Remington has taken Marlin is tragic. I can't get a grasp on how one company can buy out another, tear it to pieces and make any profit from that. IDK? The same thing happened to Wheel Horse Garden Tractors. They got bought by TORO and TORO took them straight into annihilation. Most of the Rem-Marlins I've seen are just junk. If you want a good one you have to visit a gun show or Gun Broker.com.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The way Remington has taken Marlin is tragic. I can't get a grasp on how one company can buy out another, tear it to pieces and make any profit from that. IDK? The same thing happened to Wheel Horse Garden Tractors. They got bought by TORO and TORO took them straight into annihilation. Most of the Rem-Marlins I've seen are just junk. If you want a good one you have to visit a gun show or Gun Broker.com.
It was really sad. I have heard they have gotten better at working blindfolded and the ones in the stores seem like they have better fit and finish... I won't buy another.

There was a laminate/marinecoat 464 on the rack beside it on sale for the same price. I liked the feel of it better but went with the Marlin because of the better name :icon_rofl:

A JM stamped one at a gunshow that doesn't look like it has been used as a fence post is $500-600... too much for me to swallow for a 200yd gun.

I made a thread on it while it was going on, we kinda wondered around but it keeps coming back to it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119699&highlight=Marlin

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals