• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got my kids subs hooked up, now......

reno

Reaction score
What is the best way to hook up the mids and tweeters? Just straight off the H.U.? Or could I just splice them in to the rear speakers (not the subs) or do they go with the subs? I have no clue :dunno:

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What is the best way to hook up the mids and tweeters? Just straight off the H.U.? Or could I just splice them in to the rear speakers (not the subs) or do they go with the subs? I have no clue :dunno:
Go right to the head unit. Then either shut all lows off from the head unit and boost at the amp or use in-line level filters to make sure only the sound the speaker is made for is getting through to it.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are they seperates(stand alone mid woofer and tweeter)? components(stand alone mid woofer, tweeter and crossover)? or are they coaxial speakers(woofer with tweeter mounted in center)?

are you just replacing the existing speaker with a new one in the same mounting location?

reno

Reaction score
The way I have the subs hooked is RCA out to amp, out from amp to subs (2 10" M.A. 1000watt Dual voice coil wired to 4 ohm...amp can not do 2 ohm). Then I have the speakers (Rear 6x9 and front 8" round) hooked to the leads (Gray +\ Gray w\black stripe -, and so on). So I was not sure if I could run some tweeters and mids off the amp or if they should be hooked through the car speakers.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
if you have ONE amp an its a class d or a 1/2 channel amp then you can only run the subs of that. DO not attempt to add speakers/tweeters to it.. you can run them off the deck but if you get a nice componet kit their going to start crackling due to the fact their under powered. ive got a set of mids/highs with a cross over hooked up to a amp. an i have an amp for my sub.. if you have a 3-4 channel amp then you can hook up your sub an your speakers. have the sub on 1-2 channel an the speakers on the other 2 channels.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i would advise against it. a tweeter usually takes frequencies 2500-3000hz and up. if it sees anything lower it will kill the speaker. midrange spakers like the 60/80hz-2500/3000hz range. if it sees anything higher it will sound like crap. anything lower and it will damage the speaker. since your amp is sending low frequencies to the sub, thats what your speakers will see if you try to wire them in on the same amp. if you wire them in with the existing speakers, your gonna shorten the life of the headunits internal amp significantly. but id bet it would sound like crap anyway. just spend a little extra money and get a nice set of coaxial speakers(1-peice with mid and tweeter). ive heard good things about boston accoustic.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can hook them up if you just install some crossovers to direct only high frequencies to the tweeters. And you can hook them up in series with your front speakers so you won't damage your head unit. (hook left tweeter in series with left front speaker, right tweeter in series with right front speaker.)

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You can hook them up if you just install some crossovers to direct only high frequencies to the tweeters. And you can hook them up in series with your front speakers so you won't damage your head unit. (hook left tweeter in series with left front speaker, right tweeter in series with right front speaker.)
That's why I mentioned the inline filters in my initial post.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals