• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got my 4wd system fixed!, Blinking 4hi & 4lo

1986fordranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1999
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
first off . being your truck is 99 it has PVH's "pulse vacuum hubs" . whitch are a commonplace for issue's . don't quote me on this (its been awhile since working on a PVH system) there should be a vacuum valve mounted on the right hand side inner fender well with one line running in and two running out to the hubs . jack up the front end and try putting a vacuum gun on each line running to the hubs . then try spinning one wheel at a time . see if the PVH's are locking in . if not then something in the system is leaking out vacuum . you have three options here .(1) buy aftermarket locking hubs amazon . summit racing and some other companys sell them . (2) you can mod the hubs covers by cutting a hole in the middle and just use your finger to lock and unlock the hubs by just pushing in till you hear a click and there is pressure on your finger . the opposite for unlocking them . (3) you can check your vaccum system with a vacuum gauge and figure out what the issue is and fix it . as far as your transfer case go 's . disconnect the shift motor and listen when someone turns the 4x4 knob . if the motor is working then your fine there and your hubs are simplely not locking in . if not then you may have a bad GEM module (should be behind the radio to the right) . though check all your connectors and wiring first before buying a new or even used unit . hope this helps and good luck

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate this forum

Thanks to the info on this forum in general, and specifically this thread, I solved the 4x4 malfunction in my Ranger.
I made a run to town for an errand, as I drove back behind my house to my usual parking spot, the tires spun......no problem.....got out and locked the Rugged Ridge manual hubs.....turned the switch to 4 wheel Hi.....uh oh....there is a problem 4x4 didn't engage, and both low and hi lights flashed.
Fortunately it was only the 15 amp fuse in the passenger compartment fuse box that had blown. I concur with the original poster: Check the simple inexpensive things first.
God bless, and y'all drive safe and have fun. Sincerely: Shovelmike

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry to dig up old threads.... I'm really trying to find the answer without making a new post about the same thing.

I have a 99 too. Its the 4.0 XLT extended cab.

+I turn the switch and hear three thumping clicking noises (sounds relay or solenoid like) then the flashing begins. If I let it sit for a bit, the flashing stops.

+I've checked the fuses, and read the codes (nothing)

+I permalocked the hubs, but am still having the same issue.

I lack the tools to run continuity, resistance, and voltage checks. Im trying to figure out where to look next. I have printed out a few threads from here, but they arent specific to these years. I'm going to try and jump the gap between 97 and my truck, but I know they arent the same. Any help would be much appreciated.

bwiygul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
sorry to sort of thread jack...i've been doing as much research as possible and searching this forum but haven't found the answer to this question...i wrote the same thing in another thread and thanks in advance for any responses and knowledge...

So i know it's been a while since this thread and i hope somebody or some people will chime in and let me know some good info. I just bought a 99 XLT 4.0 and during the test drive i couldn't find a good place to test the 4wd. I asked the owner and he said it did work. He had installed the Rugged Ridge hubs. i got home and it snowed a bit later and i got stuck in my driveway and took out part of my fence trying to get unstuck. So started the research.

From what i could figure it seemed like all indications were pointing to the shift motor. So i went and got a new one and installed it today and it wasn't the problem. I checked all the fuses and relay and all that. My lights are working as they should and there are 200k plus miles on the truck so the swapping of the motor wasn't a big deal and at least i'm starting off with something new. BUT, i still don't have 4wd. I did notice that it was going into 4Lo so i guess i have a 2Lo in reality.

I jacked it and pulled the Rugged Ridge hub and i see that there are some shavings and at first i thought the splines were excessively worn but now looking at picks there is a funnel effect. But what i'm figuring at this point after messing with the lockers is that they're not engaging.

Is there something that should be done grease wise or something in the hub to let the locker's splines engage the hub and the axle shaft? Did the PO do something or not do something that should have been done. I don't think it should be so difficult to get them to engage and lock up.

Lastly, is there a different hub/locker set up to put on? i don't mind having the auto locker set up if that is an option from one of the newer models? i don't want to go back to the vacuum set up but i'm not sure what my options are. Is it only rugged ridge or stock? is there a hub i can put on with a different locking mechanism? i don't mind wires if there's an electric version or something. Thanks in advance for any info.

Effieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like it's been a while since somebody posted here, but....
On the way home this morning, on the freeway (@70 mph) just before the rain stopped (if that can matter), the 4x4 high and 4x4 low lights on my 98 started doing the 6 flashes thing.
Couldn't hear if the relays were trying to do anything or not. I know you're not supposed to go over 60 mph in 4x4, so just wondering if this could possibly cause any damage, if it was in fact trying to shift into 4x4. If it was, I would think I would've felt it, but never know.... Why would this even happen at highway speeds? Wiring issues?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't know a lot about it but it isn't hard to look into unless yours has the skid plate and counterweight which have to be removed first.
It's a rather simple little unit along the scale of a starter solenoid.

There is a washer type thing that carries part of the current that can get stuck or some something, it's been so long since I've been into mine, but just turning that washer-like thing to get it a better contact freed mine up over 15 years ago and I haven't been back into it since

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals