• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got afuel pump question for 4.0 guys

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you guys converted to the 4.0 on a 86-88 BIIs what did you do for the fuel pump? I have an Explorer fuel pump in the tank and still have the rail pump on the BII side. I put the Ex pump/sending unit in to fix the fuel indication problem I had but now the truck just started bogging on me like it is not getting gas. It was runing great before I put this pump in so I'm thinking the pumps are somehow fighting each other. Anyone have this issue before?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Most guys get a section of line to patch through where the rail pump had been.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Remove the rail pump all-together and put you fuel filter in its place. what you now have is twp high pressure pumps working together. Your original set-up is a low pressure pump in the tank and the high pressure pump on the rail. I think you are correct in thinking that they are somehow fighting each other. Double check the crash switch under the front edge of the carpet in the pass. side floorboard. Also double check your elec. connections on the new in tank pump. Not sure what problems you were having before. My 88 runs perfectly fine with the original double pump setup.
Hope that helps. Paul

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I was wondering. Didn't think twp pumps would be a bad idea you know?. Yeah the inertia switch was good, checked that when I was waiting for rescue on the side of the road. The truck would fire but was stumbliong badly. Before puttign the Exp pump in the truck ran like a champ I was just trying to get teh fuel gauge working and thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. SO as that was the last thing I did it's got to be the root cause of what's wrong now. Hmm maybe I killed the FPR with both high volume pumps:icon_idea: I'll have to check that idea out. Of course when I ordered the sending unit I'd planned to use the new pump I had already installed and of course they were completely different. So I used the working pump I had harvested from a 91 that I stripped and I'm thinking I did myself no favour there, though the 91 ran well. So $71 bucks for the sending unit, ordered from out of state, $105 for the pump, in stock locally or a whole new pump/sending unit for $125, out of state order. Not to mention dropping the tank, again..... :bawling: Grrrrrrrrrr. And before anyone chides my, I don't want to cut a hole in the floor.

Oh well I got it home and decided to leave it be. I'm now in the process of removing the liff kit from my 87 that I battled to get installed because my daughter slipped and fell trying to get it in and my wife was huffing and puffing about my lifting HER BII so, out it comes and I didn't think I put the bolts in so tight........

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals