• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a tad ahead of myself

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I bought a high mileage 1996 B2300 short box/reg cab/4x2/manual/with AC (I think that should sum up the needed details) back in march. I didn't have an immediate need to drive it and the previous owner knew little of it's maintenance history, so I dove in head first and ripped the engine bay a new one.

The deeper I went, the more I found to square away. New timing kit with all new seals and gaskets, water pump etc - replaced hoses as needed removed and cleaned up the entire Intake - new O-rings and pintle caps on injectors - cleaning up years of neglect and Minnesota rust.

I have been taking my sweet time and have Juuust about got it ready to start-up, but its been so long since I began I lost track of a couple connections under the hood.

There are two identical connectors - one of which belongs on the canister purge flow sensor, and the other..... I cant find a home for. One is grouped with the connections for the power steering sensor and the canister purge solenoid and this branch leads from the drivers side fender skirt. This seems the logical choice, but its twin is homeless right now and reaches the sensor comfortably. This second connector branches with the AC Compressor connector and as far as I can see, every other connection in range is good to go.

Also, branched with the connections to the alternator there are two that escape my memory. One is a single-wire gray connector and the other is a weird, black, U-shaped block with an eyelet at the end to bolt it somewhere....?

I took pics and will attempt to upload them so hopefully you see them below. If you can shed some light on my plight it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a high mileage 1996 B2300 short box/reg cab/4x2/manual/with AC (I think that should sum up the needed details) back in march. I didn't have an immediate need to drive it and the previous owner knew little of it's maintenance history, so I dove in head first and ripped the engine bay a new one.

The deeper I went, the more I found to square away. New timing kit with all new seals and gaskets, water pump etc - replaced hoses as needed removed and cleaned up the entire Intake - new O-rings and pintle caps on injectors - cleaning up years of neglect and Minnesota rust.

I have been taking my sweet time and have Juuust about got it ready to start-up, but its been so long since I began I lost track of a couple connections under the hood.

There are two identical connectors - one of which belongs on the canister purge flow sensor, and the other..... I cant find a home for. One is grouped with the connections for the power steering sensor and the canister purge solenoid and this branch leads from the drivers side fender skirt. This seems the logical choice, but its twin is homeless right now and reaches the sensor comfortably. This second connector branches with the AC Compressor connector and as far as I can see, every other connection in range is good to go.

Also, branched with the connections to the alternator there are two that escape my memory. One is a single-wire gray connector and the other is a weird, black, U-shaped block with an eyelet at the end to bolt it somewhere....?

I took pics and will attempt to upload them so hopefully you see them below. If you can shed some light on my plight it would be greatly appreciated!

grey connector in second pic goes to alternator, and black thing in same pic goes to one of the coil bolts.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The single wire grey plug looks to be part of the voltage regulator assembly, it should plug in below the plug that is already in on the alternator.

The U-shaped block is you RFI capacitor, ground it to the body of one of the ignition coils. Just take one of the coil pack hold down bolts out and put that eyelet around it, then reinstall.

I will pull up the shop manuals and see if I can figure out something for those other two.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dang, Demon ninja'd me.

Anyway, the plug that has red, black and white, and black/green is the purge sensor.

I need to know the colors of the wires in the other plug to even guess.

Last edited:

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Dang, Demon ninja'd me.

because I be good and my ranger has wings :beer::D:yahoo:

good thing you know what the other ones are in first pic because i was drawing a blank on those:bawling:

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't have greater knowledge, I have greater access to the instructions.

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Awesome you guys thanks so much for your replies!! I figured out the first two now but brilliant to consult the wire colors! The connector with the blue base is for the purge sensor and the other is for a pressure switch on the filter/dryer on the AC line between the condenser and compressor. I am eliminating the AC and didn't install the condenser or manifold/lines to the compressor, resulting in the confusion. I'll get the others hooked up tomorrow and I should have it up and running for the first time since beginning my "tune-up". You guys have put together a super forum here and I have gleaned a ton of info that has helped me immensely! Thank you very much!

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again for your prompt and accurate attention - with your help this issue is resolved and the powers-that-be are welcome to axe/move this thread as appropriate. MUCH APPRECIATED!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals