• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a new Toy.....ota

Which car to keep

• The Ranger

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • The Land Cruiser

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
hey all,

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I just picked up a 97 FJ-80 Land Cruiser for a steal :yahoo:. It's got locking front and rear diffs, leather interior, power everything, 3rd row fold up seats, and a few minor problems (blown speaker, small gas tank leak, electrical sensor fault on the center diff). I'm thinking of turning it into and expedition-esk type of vehicle. I want to take off the running boards, give it a 2" suspension lift, front bumpe with winch, and pretty much leave it at that. I wanted to know what you all though of it and wanted you all to weigh in on a tough decision.... I now have 3 vehicles. the 97 ranger, 97 LC, and my 76 baja. I'm trying to figure out which vehicle to keep as my daily driver between the ranger and the LC. I love my ranger but the LC has all the bells and whistles and everything still works on it. But it only gets ~13mpg :sad: So what do you guys think I should do? flip the LC and keep the ranger, or sell the ranger to fund the LC progect/daily driver. Opinions are appreciated. Thanks all

I want to make it into something like this

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, although the YotaTo looks like a very nice truck...I'd have to go with the flip...gas mileage alone would nail it for me...

Is that an EPA number or something you've discovered through driving? I'd check the air filter to make sure it is new in the case of the latter...they are good trucks from what I've heard but haven't read anything about them...very reliable also...

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Flip the yota and use money on ranger.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
If you want expo... that yota will be nice.

why only 13 mpgs though??

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
the EPA estimate is 13-15. I'll have to average it once i fill it up. I'm hoping it will get closer to 15. some guys have reported 17. If it get up there, it will be on par with my ranger which gets 17-18.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I just didn't know what was Normal... I'm sure there are ways to get a little more out of them.. Gear properly, how you drive, etc..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
that's what i figure. I also figure taking the running boards off will save some weight so that'll help. no matter what, I'm not pressed for time with this decision I just can't stop thinking about it. haha

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Nice score, and nice future plans. You'll love that ARB front bumper, had one on my Grand Cherokee, I used it as a push bumper around the property, and the shop for moving dead vehicles around with.

Don't expect spectacular fuel economy out of those Land Cruisers they never were known for fuel economy, but they'll go pretty much anywhere. Only wish I could find one for a descent price they're pretty expensive here in Idaho, along with Jeeps.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have some friends who have had them or still own the old FJ's and they really like them. They will run and go on forever. Just maintain it and it will last. The gas mileage is a bit lower then what my friends said they are getting. They told me more like 18-20 mpg on the highway. Adding a real large roof rack will cause a drop in gas mileage, but the right size one will not hurt it much. Lifting it a bunch and huge taller tires will drop it even more of course.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've always tended to have a couple vehicles and swap back and forth depending on how I feel on a given day. The change keeps driving either from getting too stale and by using both regularly the miles don't go up so fast on one and they both get workouts cause one thing for sure, at least in this areas, cars sitting don't do well. It also means I can deal with a problem one and still get out for parts using the other.

There is a cost keeping both. Registration and insurance. Registration around here isn't so much. There was a point when I was really hurting for funds so gave away my 89 BII for a song cause the insurance was costing me way too much. At least according to the costs listed for that vehicle on my auto insurance bill. Once I got rid of it, the insurance company raised the rate on the one remaining vehicle I had such that the actual savings was like $20 per month. For $20 per month I would have held on to it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
ab_slack, It'd be nice to keep both but I currently live in the city and have one car in my garage, one in the driveway (which I share with 3 roommates) and one in the street. I just don't have the space.

Stray Cat, I'm hoping it'll do better than the EPA guesstimae of 13-15. I'll see how it does the next time that I fill up. if it gets near that 18mpg point, then it's equal with my ranger. Again, I'm not in a rush to make a decision, I just can't stop tossing ideas around in my head. haha

Thanks all for your opinions thus far

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The LC will be a toy right? Build it up and don't worry about MPG. If it's a DD then get rid of it. If I wanted a 4X4 luxury toy like your LC then I'd get rid of the beatle bug...it's not like your in the south west...dude you are in OH.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals