• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good replacement stereo

nick112207

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good cd player that i can replace my stock 1995 cassette/radio with? i'd preferably like one that has the audio input that allows you to plug in a mp3 player

nick112207

Reaction score
Or for that matter a spacer kit so there isnt a giant gapping hole from the cassette player

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't know if the 95 and 91 dash are similar but I just replaced the stock unit on my 91 with a sony unit. It fit right in there, in fact it looks more factory than the factory unit did. plays mp3, wma and has a front jack for plugging in an mp3 player or even a walkman to play them old tapes. There are a lot of very acceptable units out there for around a hundred bucks on sale. most of them will mount right in there, you'll have to sort out the wiring though. If you are after earth shattering performance you will pay a little more but installation should be easy enough. One word of advice, go listen to any unit you are considering and also play around with it a little. Some are really confusing to operate.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Use the metra Kit 99-5802. It looks the best in most Fords. Mount it with the pocket over the radio and make sure you install the included back brace. This way the radio will be mounted solid. Read and follow the directions.

nick112207

Reaction score
this is actually the unit im looking at. and the best buy site says it fits the 95 ranger.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8229151&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat52600050035&id=1167445160968

thing im mostly looking for is the kit to make it so i cant stick my hand back in the dash. im guessing thats what the metra kit was? because the stereo on the 95 is actually the clock cassette player thing thats got to be atleast a half a foot tall and that stereo is only like 2 inches

nick112207

Reaction score
im confused. ive looked up the metra kit and i cant figure out how exactly it works? because looking at the stock head unit i cant figure out how that thing works with it

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure what your asking. The New radio will mount to the kit. And the kit will simply snap into place. Radio and all. With the supplied back brace properly installed the kit will fit in the dash solidly

nick112207

Reaction score
ok my stock head unit is 4" tall x 7.5" wide. the new head unit im looking at is only 2-1/16" tall x 7-3/16" wide. im confused on how the metra kit gets rid of the other 2-15/16" of space left?

nick112207

Reaction score
ok nvm figured it out after doing a little reading. didnt realize that was a little pocket you store stuff in

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I am kinda diggin on my eclipse I bought 8 years ago (been in 6 trucks and currently resides in my Suburban). as for the problem of single din verses double din, put some guages and a custom plate in the left over space.

nick112207

Reaction score
I am kinda diggin on my eclipse I bought 8 years ago (been in 6 trucks and currently resides in my Suburban). as for the problem of single din verses double din, put some guages and a custom plate in the left over space.
are you talking about the metra kit or the head unit? and yeah completely new to all this. just bought my truck in july and have never done any kind of audio work on a vehicle before. whats the difference between single din and double din?

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
din refers to the size. Double Din is what you have (also what i have in my mini-van) and single din refes to the size of what you want. you have several options. you can buy a kit that has that little pocket thingy (I find it useful for remotes and ciggarettes) or you can buy a double din head unit or install a single din dvd player underneath your single din head unit. or (this is what I did in my old Suburban) I built a custom polished aluminum plate in place of the pocket and stuffed guages in it (like water temp, oil pressure, and amp meter) instead of buying a guage pod

nick112207

Reaction score
ah ok. thanks. had no clue what you meant before. haha. yeah i think for now ill just stick with the metra kit or a similiar one and maybe later do the gauges. im going for the quickest easiest way right now. and as ill be parked in a parking garage in downtown cincinnati, ohio i dont think i need anything else like a snazzy looking polished custom set of guages to add to someone wanting to break in to the truck. haha :rolleyes:

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Crutchfield provides free shipping, free harness, free install kit and free technical support. I love them.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals